Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worries about Bitbucket, LFS and Unreal engine projects

Victor November 27, 2022

Hello! We are currently working on a large Unreal Engine 5 project. We have been using Bitbucket for a few weeks, and we are approaching the 2GB that Bitbucket offers in its free plan.

Therefore, I was thinking of using git LFS. I have git LFS installed, and I have tracked the .Uasset files in the cmd, and now those files appear as changed in the Sourcetree.

Is there a correct way or process to do this? Currently we are two people working on the project collaboratively, but soon we will be 5 (the limit).

If I now upload these changed files that I just tracked from the git LFS terminal, what do my colleagues have to do to work together with me normally?
Do they have to have git LFS installed?
Will their project get corrupted?

I would like if there is any process, tutorial or own experience that you have tried using git LFS on already built large Unreal Engine projects, please let me know. I am very lost on this and the documentation is very vague on this particular topic. Thank you very much!

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 29, 2022

Hi @Hoku3D and welcome to the community!

If you had .Uasset files committed already in this repository, they are not going to be tracked by Git LFS if you simply do git lfs track '<pattern>'. You will need to rewrite history in order to migrate these (existing) files to Git LFS. Is this something you have done already, or not?

If not, you can check the following guide we have, specifically the section "Start using Git LFS with an existing repository":

After you complete this process, any user with access to the repo will need to install Git LFS on their computer. They should also take a new clone of the repo (after you migrate it to Git LFS), as the repo will have changed history.

If you have any other servers where you clone the repo, you will need to install Git LFS on them as well.

Please keep in mind that for workspaces on the Free plan we offer 1 GB of Git LFS (across all repos in the workspace). If you need more, you can either upgrade to the Standard or Premium plan or purchase extra Git LFS space:

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events