Workspace with multiple projects, can specific user groups be added to new repos

Benjamin Adcock January 12, 2022

We have a Bitbucket Cloud Workspace shared between multiple Teams via Projects.
For example lets have a Frontend Project and a Backend Project.

For each new repo created in either Project, we would like a specific group of users added by default.

Is this possible at all within Bitbucket Cloud?

1 answer

0 votes
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2022

Hi, @Benjamin Adcock, thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community.

Currently, it’s possible to set a group to be added by default to new repositories in a workspace. In this case, you can add all the users who need access to these repositories to groups and assign this default permission to this group.

You can add this default permission to a group by following the next steps:

• Open the workspace > Go to Settings > User groups

• Open the group you want to be added by default to new repositories

• Click Edit

• Under Automatically assign permissions for new repositories, select the type of permission you want to this group

• Repositories added to this workspace will automatically receive this permission

However, in this case, this group will be added to all the new repositories. As you mentioned you have 2 different groups and they need different accesses, I believe this wouldn't solve your problem. 

What would solve this case would be the Bitbucket project-level permissions, which is in our roadmap for this year as you can see here: 

We also have a feature request in progress to allow users to manage repositories access with Project Permissions as you can see here: 

I would suggest that you add yourself as a watcher (by selecting the Start watching this issue link) if you would like to be notified by email about any updates. 

I hope this helps, but do let me know if you have any questions. 

Kind regards,
Caroline

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events