Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my Bitbucket repo size larger than my local repo after removing large files?

jeastman September 27, 2019

My repo is showing size = 1.4G on Bitbucket. I followed the instructions to reduce its size by removing large files using 

bfg-1.13.0.jar

Now my local repo says its only 547M but Bitbucket is still showing 1.4G.

git count-objects -v 

count: 70

size: 1228

in-pack: 24167

packs: 1

size-pack: 547317

prune-packable: 0

garbage: 0

size-garbage: 0

1 answer

0 votes
Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 27, 2019

Hello @jeastman,

This is likely because garbage collection has not yet been triggered on server side. This is somewhat resource consuming operation, so it doesn't run on every repository update.

As the guide suggests:

After you push your changes, contact Support to run a git gc on the server for you. This is git garbage collection which runs housekeeping tasks on the repository to reflect the change in the size.

I'm happy to trigger garbage collection for you, however I wasn't able to find any repository with the size of 1.4GB among your repositories, so please let me know which one it is, or open a support case using the link above.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Daniil

jeastman September 27, 2019

I did file a support ticket and also moved a bunch of large files to LFS. They gc-d my repo and its a happy 315M now.  Thanks!

Like Daniil Penkin likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events