Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Git clone requesting password for non-member?

fletcher2014
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 27, 2021

Hello,

I lead a small team of university developers and have multiple repos. 

A former student (call her "student A"), created a new repo a few years ago, and later transferred ownership to me when she graduated.   I have since removed her from the repo and added other developers.

One of my new developers, who has write access to the repo, is having trouble cloning the repo.  When she logs into Bitbucket and tries to run GIT clone, the system is asking for the Bitbucket password for Student A.  Even though Student A is no longer a member of this repo.

This issue does not occur with any of my other repos.  She is able to clone our other repos without any problems. (No password prompt) Only this specific repo has this strange behavior.

Has anybody else had this problem? And figured out how to fix it?

Thank you. 

1 answer

0 votes
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 28, 2021

Hi, @fletcher2014! Welcome to the community! 

I understand that when this new developer tries to clone a repository that belongs to you, Git is asking her to inform a password. In this case, I believe she is using HTTPS to clone, is that correct? Could you please share the message she is seeing when trying to clone the repo, so I can understand why you believe the system is asking for the Bitbucket password for Student A?

Also, could you please ask her to create an App password and use it to try to authenticate with this password when git asks her to inform a password? She can follow the steps described in the following documentation to create the App password:

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

Kind regards,
Caroline

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events