Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Bitbucket show a git conflict where there is none?

Nathan Bennett September 8, 2022

We've had multiple Pull Request created in BitBucket that show conflicts in files (and therefore the PR is not mergeable), but there are no visible conflicts - often BB reports a conflict on simple prs where the only difference is a new line, but often the hash in the `composer.lock` file shows as a conflict, when there is clearly only a string change.

2 answers

0 votes
Kelvin Tan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 2, 2024

I am currently running into the similar issue where the bitbucket shows merge conflict on PR, but the feature branch is synced with the main branch. I did a test to merge the feature branch to the main branch with git command and they are just merged fine. I think there maybe some fundamantal  issues on my local git repo with how bitbucket handles the merge. my local git repo was working fine for the past 6 months.

I even did a test with create a branch on top of the latest main, and made a line change, and created a PR, the bitbucket still complains there's a merge conflict.

Any advice on resolving this issue?

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2022

Hi Nathan,

Conflicts are indicated by Git, I would advise you to first check if conflicts show locally as well when you run into this issue again. In your local clone of the repo, pull the latest changes for both the source and the destination branch. Then, copy-paste the clone directory to a different location for testing purposes, and try to merge the branches in the copied directory and see if you get any conflicts.

If you don't see any conflicts, I would suggest creating a ticket with the support team to look into this. You can create a ticket via https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/, in "What can we help you with?" select "Technical issues and bugs" and then Bitbucket Cloud as product. In the ticket description please provide the URL of a PR with this issue; the PR needs to be open and not merged yet so we can investigate the issue while it is occurring.

Kind regards,
Theodora

AlexThunder December 5, 2023

This doesn't seem like an acceptable answer, to be honest. The state of bitbucket cloud is still the same, it says "conflict", but the actual diff of the conflict is not visible in bitbucket. One has to open a merge locally to even know what the conflict is. This feels like an incredible step backwards from the older server versions. For a git management tool, it should help manage git. I assume it's the reason for OP to open this question, because bitbucket doesn't actually show a diff of the conflict. 

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 6, 2023

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the feedback, I understand that this is a pain point.

We have a request in our issue tracker to show the preview-merge diff type on demand, something that would also show the diff of the conflicts:

I would suggest adding your vote to that ticket to express your interest and leave feedback there, as this helps our product managers better understand the demand for features.

You can also add yourself as a watcher (by selecting the Start watching this issue link) if you'd like to get notified via email on updates. Implementation of features is done as per our policy here and any updates will be posted on that public ticket.

Kind regards,
Theodora

AlexThunder December 6, 2023

Thanks Theodora, I gave the issue a +1.

Like Theodora Boudale likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events