Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Atlassian not support the startup of its product?

System Administrator November 18, 2013

Disclaimer: I appoligize in advance if i sound frustrated

We have purchased stash and many other products by Atlassian and really like all of these applications. However, I am having issues running stash as a service on linux (RHEL/CentOS 6). The init file provided in the install instructions is for debian based distros and did not work well on RHEL.

Does Atlassian not support running there application on RHEL/CentOS?

Fortunately i found an Answer here that provided a init script for RHEL based distros and it worked, kind of! Every once in a while the service will not shutdown cleanly and the PID file is not removed, also, if the application suddently stops it doesn't startup automatically. This becomes an issue when you want to do nightly backup that requires stopping stash and the DB and every 2-3 days the service does not start back up. Now i get an alert during off peak hour, midnight, and have to manually start the service.

So then i started down the path of using the other provided method, java-service-wrapper, and when asking support to help set this up they stated:

"Unfortunately, we don't offer support for the service wrapper."

"I propose that you post your result on the Answers"

Stash is a great product but now i have management and other business units seeing it as a POS because it is constantly going down.

I guess my only choice is to do what support said ..... "Don't ask support, ask the community on Answers"

Has anyone successfully setup stash as a service on RHEL 6? If so, how have you delt with PID files not being removed and when the application suddenly stops?

Has anyone successfully implemented java-service-wrapper for stash? Are there any benefits to using it and how should it be configured?

Thanks,
Michael

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2013

I think you need to stop worrying about the service wrapper and investigate why it's suddenly stopping.

Clean and easy restarts of a service are just patching over what the real problem is (right thing to do initially, while you do the work to investigate the real problem)

For what it's worth, a LOT of big organisations run Atlassian stuff and prefer RHEL

System Administrator November 19, 2013

Thanks for bringing me back to reality and keeping it simple.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2013

Well, I do kind of agree with you - it would be much better if Atlassian could support different ways of handling services, but I do understand that it's a bit of a moving target and it's not the only moving target they have.

But, I think you've got two questions here. The first is the conversation about service handling and we can rattle through that at length. The second is the thing you need to look at first though - the reason it's stopping. I'd post a new question about that, with excerpts of the log from the times it's stopping (or even reach for Atlassian support - it doesn't matter about the service wrapper, a crash is a different story)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events