Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why bitbucket needs third part cookies?

MHack September 8, 2020

I could not log into my account due to using Brave for saving my privacy.

My browser blocked 

Also I have blocked cross-site cookies, which are not necessary for usage.

Why are you blocking my logging into my account when I want to safe my privacy?

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 5, 2020

Hi, welcome to the Community!

Bitbucket Cloud uses id.atlassian.com for authentication before passing your session back to Bitbucket at bitbucket.org. Brave's Shield by default blocks cookies between domains. Since these are different domains, the Shield settings in Brave don't apply cleanly across the application - even if you've disabled Shield at one point, it takes a couple prods of Shield tweaking to get everything flowing well. The Optimizely and NewRelic javascript packages that you've noted should not be necessary for login. The issue is with cookies on separate domains during the authentication flow.

This isn't unique to Atlassian; I've reported this issue to Brave and noted many other sites reporting the Shield cookie blocker breaking IAM. It's notable that uBlock Origin, Disconnect, etc. don't have the same effect that Brave Shield does here. Hopefully it's sorted and "just works" soon.

In the meantime, you can follow the instructions on this post for deactivating shields in all the necessary places.

Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events