Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are there 2 levels of 2FA?

Laur June 15, 2022

I have 2FA enabled for my Atlassian account. It gets asked when I log into my Bitbucket account using Atlassian account.

Why does bitbucket allow enabling 2FA again? Would this mean I need two different 2FA codes when logging in?

What benefit would enabling it also on bitbucket side offer? What am I missing here?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Syahrul
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 16, 2022

Hi @Laur 

Welcome to the community!

There are currently two types of mobile authentication for Atlassian, which are 2FA on the Atlassian account and 2SV for Bitbucket account specific.

Atlassian account 2FA is used across the Atlassian account level across Atlassian products, while Bitbucket 2SV is used only for Bitbucket products as another security layer.

It's mainly used for Premium features to enforce Bitbucket-specific 2SV

Bitbucket cloud premium features 

That said, the benefit is for Premium features and can be enabled if you wish to have additional security for your code access.

I hope this clarifies.

Cheers,
Syahrul

Laur June 16, 2022

To be clear, it's okay not to enable it, as Atlassian account 2FA will still provide us with additional auth layer. correct?

Syahrul
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 3, 2022

Hi @Laur 

Yes, It's fine if you decided not to enable it as long as your Workspace doesn't enable the Premium feature to enforce 2SV for the Bitbucket cloud.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Syahrul

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events