Why are some user commits not associated with their user account?

rpieszak May 24, 2016

On the Bitbucket Commits page, the Author column, some users are their full name with a link to their profile page, but some users are just a username with no link.  It looks like some commits aren't be associated with their user account.

Possibly related, I've noticed on our Awesome Graphs, Contributors tag, there are multiple entries for some users.  The "main" user has full name, correct email, link to profile, but some are different (using local IPs or hostnames).  For example: John Smith (jsmith@ourdomain.com), but also jsmith (jsmith@192.168.33.219, and jsmith (jsmith@JSMITH-LT).

If it's relevant, we're using JIRA for our user management/directory and Eclipse to commit code.

Thank you

2 answers

2 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2016

Have you told all your users to put in their 'git config --global user.name'?

Adam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 24, 2016

Yeah I think you answered your own question a bit. :) The committers in Git can be any string. Bitbucket attempts to link the committer to a user with matching email address. If there isn't one, it remains unlinked. You should try to get committers to configure their information to match their Bitbucket user. To fix historical mismatches, I'd suggest looking into using Git mailmap to map those other committer email addresses back to the main one. Bitbucket will respect the configuration you use there.

1 vote
ThiagoBomfim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 24, 2016

This article also details the process described by @Adam Ahmed : Commit in Bitbucket Server shows a different username than the one that pushes the code.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events