Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is server.xml and bitbucket.properties files?

Baztheman June 11, 2019

Hi,

I just installed Bitbucket (BB) server 6.3.2 via .bin installation. I understand it created user id atlbitbucket and the following directories:

Installation directory: /opt/atlassian/bitbucket/6.3.2

Home directory: /var/atlassian/application-data/bitbucket

I have read many posts and articles already. I cannot locate both server.xml and bitbucket.properties files.

Can somebody help?

Thank you.

Barry

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2019

Hi Barry,

server.xml was used before Bitbucket 5.0 and was part of Tomcat, and you could make customization to a number of things in this file, like running Bitbucket behind a proxy, setting the port Bitbucket runs on etc. As of 5.0 Atlassian changed how you make these customizations are performed and introduced bitbucket.properties. You can read more about the switch here, Migrate server.xml customizations to bitbucket.properties.

The bitbucket.properties files is not automatically created when you install Bitbucket, you have to manually create it if you want to make changes to the default properties. The file should be created under <Bitbucket home directory>/shared directory. Bitbucket Server config properties list all the behaviors you can set using this file.

Baztheman June 11, 2019

I am now seeing bitbucket.properties file.

Contents:

#>*******************************************************

#> Migrated to database at jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/bitbucket

#> Updated by Barry Au-Yeung on 2019-06-10T14:43:40.447-07:00

#>*******************************************************

jdbc.driver=org.postgresql.Driver

jdbc.url=jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/bitbucket

jdbc.user=bitbucketuser

jdbc.password=jellyfish

Is this mean BB is accessing a database called bitbucket using bitbucketuser id?

About the properties file, This is very strange... Here is the directory list from yesterday... I configured the DB yesterday...

root@bitbucket:~# ls -la /var/atlassian/application-data/bitbucket/shared/

total 28

drwxr-xr-x  6 atlbitbucket atlbitbucket 4096 Jun  7 13:36 .

drwxr-xr-x 12 atlbitbucket atlbitbucket 4096 Jun 10 11:45 ..

drwxr-xr-x  5 atlbitbucket atlbitbucket 4096 Jun  7 13:30 config

drwxr-xr-x  8 atlbitbucket atlbitbucket 4096 Jun  7 13:36 data

-rw-r--r--  1 atlbitbucket atlbitbucket   15 Jun  7 13:36 .lock

drwxr-xr-x  3 atlbitbucket atlbitbucket 4096 Jun  7 13:30 plugins

drwxr-xr-x  4 atlbitbucket atlbitbucket 4096 Jun  7 13:30 search

root@bitbucket:~# ls -la /opt/bitbucket/shared

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2019

Correct, the database BB is using the bitbucket db and connect to it with the bitbucketuser id.

Shawn Sesna February 19, 2020

I would highly recommend adding the "The bitbucket.properties files is not automatically created when you install Bitbucket, you have to manually create it if you want to make changes to the default properties. " to the 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/securing-bitbucket-server-with-tomcat-using-ssl-776640127.html#SecuringBitbucketServerwithTomcatusingSSL-configuretomcat 

documentation page.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events