Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I view pipeline test reports?

Jason Sheedy December 14, 2017

According to the current docs, maven test results are picked up automatically and test reports generated. I can see in the tear down section of my build pipeline that it is picking up the results (output below), but can't see the reports anywhere. Can someone please advise where to view test reports?

Finished scanning for test reports.

Found 22 test report files.

All test reports aggregated into 44 test cases

Uploading test results

Finished uploading test results.

11 answers

3 votes
Taras Postument October 3, 2019

Hey guys,
here is the ticket Bitbucket team created for this issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD-15716

The current issue status is "Gathering Interest", so please go and vote for it if you are still interested.

Thanks!

2 votes
Andrew Sheehan December 20, 2017

@Jason Sheedy I have found that you can only view the results of failed tests. When you have a pipeline with failing tests, you will then be able to select a dropdown that appears where the Logs header is and select Test Results. Alternatively, you can click on the x number of failures message on the unit testing step and that will take you to the test results as well.

Hope this helps!

Jason Sheedy December 20, 2017

Thanks Andrew. It seems a like a bit of an oversight to not display passing tests. I can't think of any good reason why they wouldn't include it. Maybe that's only available in the Enterprise version. :/

Like # people like this
Sheraz Sharif December 22, 2017

I would also like to see reports where all tests passed.

Like Andrew Cutler likes this
Philip Hodder
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 11, 2018

We now display the successful tests too. But don't generate a full report. Is there anything specific you'd want to see in a larger report for a 100% tests passing?

Jason Sheedy January 14, 2018

Hi Philip. Could you tell me where to see passing tests? I see maven test results output in the logs, but nothing appears in the bitbucket user interface.

thanks

Philip Hodder
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 14, 2018

Hi @Jason Sheedy,

Were you previously seeing failed test results as well? Or have none shown?

If you have everything already set up, they should be showing on the step like so:

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 5.36.39 pm.png

If you don't have it set up, you should have debugging information about this in the 'Build Teardown' section of your pipeline. Note there was a bug that prevented them from displaying, which we have now resolved so you may only seem them on new pipelines.

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 5.40.10 pm.png

Which directory are your test outputs going to at the moment? Right now we're only reading from specific test report directory names listed here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/test-reporting-in-pipelines-939708543.html

Thanks,

Phil

Like Oleksandr Gavenko likes this
Raymond Burrowes August 23, 2018

@Jason Sheedy I am a bit late to this conversation, but I noted in one of your earlier response you said,

It seems a like a bit of an oversight to not display passing tests. I can't think of any good reason why they wouldn't include it.

I would say that sometimes the most important metric for a fast-paced agile team is to know if we have failures to fix or analyse. If the tests are passing the result details will not change what happens. The details of the tests are only interesting as to what we will test. That occurs in planning the tests. 

That is my humble opinion, and in my experience, it is most useful to those who did not design, implement and execute the tests.

Like # people like this
Andrei Dascalu May 10, 2021

Couple of years later, still hitting the issue of missing reports.

There's  a good reason to display results in that in jUnit format you see lots of relevant details. Such as execution times. If your tests are passing but going through the testable code but times have increased 3x, I'd like to know.

Also, some platforms include an informal coverage report alongside the test report (eg: in Go going through available local modules, how many tests are there). It's a quick and easy way to tell whether tests were added as expected without going through the whole merge request.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Artur Freitas July 21, 2021

Hi all!

I got these lines in my pipeline configuration file:

script:
- docker exec -i app ./vendor/bin/phpunit --log-junit ./test-reports/junit.xml
artifacts:
- ./test-reports/**/*.xml

Im forcing an error on test expecting a report, but I get this message in teardown step:

Searching for files matching artifact pattern ./test-reports/**/*.xml
Finished scanning for test reports. Found 0 test report files.

Where Am I wrong?

Thks...

montells January 19, 2023

Hello. I am facing the same behavior. did you solve this?

1 vote
manuel.ortiz April 22, 2021

Hi guys, return to this old thread.

I am generating a xunit formatted .xml on every pull request.

I can see the "test" tab with the result.

test-tab.png

but I can't see it in the "reports" section of the pull request.

report-empty.png

Does anyone know why? am i forgetting something?

Build teardown

teardown.png

John Langan September 22, 2021

Hey Manuel, did you ever find an answer to this?

Jigisha Shah
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 14, 2023

It seems he is using below and that found report files

artifacts:
- test-reports/*.xml

1 vote
Alex Tran
Atlassian Team
July 22, 2019

It would be helpful to also show the reports of passing test as well. 

0 votes
Eduardo Rosales Fernandez February 20, 2019

Hi guys, I have this step in gitlab:

gradle-test:
stage: test
script:
- ./gradlew test -PnodeInstall --no-daemon
artifacts:
reports:
junit: build/test-results/test/TEST-*.xml
paths:
- build/test-results/
- build/jacoco/
expire_in: 1 day

how I transform it to bitbucket pipeline???

Philip Hodder
Atlassian Team
March 3, 2019

Hi Eduardo,

Bitbucket Pipelines automatically scans for test reports after each step of a pipeline. 

So if you have test reports output in your build, then it should be parsed and shown in the UI of the build result.

We got some details on how test reports works in Pipelines here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/test-reporting-in-pipelines-939708543.html

Let me know how you go with that. :)

Thanks,

Phil

Jeannie wang May 16, 2019

How bitbucket can show the red banner saying "failed" if the result reports errors?

My case shows that the build can still be deployed even though some tests are failed

12.png

Like Andrew Lorien likes this
Philip Hodder
Atlassian Team
May 19, 2019

@Jeannie wang the state of your step (in this case successful), is based on the exit code of your script. In this case, the command you're using to run your tests is still returning a successful exit code, even though you have a failing test.

Bitbucket Pipelines only looks for the presence of failed tests in the xUnit output of your tests.

You'll need to investigate why you test command is returning itself as successful. Perhaps you have a flag you need to enable/disable to avoid ignoring certain test results?

Like Andrew Lorien likes this
0 votes
jackiecustodio September 12, 2018

Hi guys.. from https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/test-reporting-in-pipelines-939708543.html, says pipelines only support XML xUnit-compatible reports... what if i have an ExtentReport that spits out a TestAutomationReport.html at the end of every test run (and/or attaches a screenshot when a bdd step fails)... how do I integrate this in Bitbucket pipelines and actually have a Test Report tab or whatever that business users can jump into to see my colorful dashboard ?? :)

Deleted user September 13, 2018

Hey Jackie,

I believe the reports should be strictly in XML format.

0 votes
Deleted user September 4, 2018

I don't know If I 'm missing sth here but phpunit can fail on deprecation notices(if not configured otherwise) but the tests will pass. As a result you got a failed pipeline with successful tests. Well, I don't know if it is an uncaught use case by your side, maybe it is worth mentioning it.

0 votes
Ralf Hauptmann March 21, 2018

Hey guys,

after watching your webinar last week I started using Pipelines on our PHP API.

I was reading this thread carefully but still cant see a way to access the error reports created see:2018-03-22_1648.png

I know there is a way upload this to S3 but I cant find the documentation anymore.
Wouldn't it be the easiest way to attach this report to the email you send anyway on failure:

2018-03-22_1650.png

Hope you can help me and others here.
I already checked: https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/test-reporting-in-pipelines-939708543

Cheers from Fishburners Sydney :)

0 votes
Fabrice Veniard March 6, 2018

Thks for the quick answer and sorry for misplacing my original reply. I misunderstood the interface ^^

Anyway, failing tests failing the pipeline works like it's supposed to.

In case of full success, I would see a green bar in the log output and/or interface on the left (equivalent to the big red one on failure)

Philip Hodder
Atlassian Team
March 6, 2018

No problem. I'll pass on your feedback to the rest of the team. :)

Thks !

Also, I don't have the test details on the left, close to the link to see the build configuration as per your screenshots.

Maybe I could have these in there too when they succeed ?

Anyway, thks for the follow up

0 votes
Jason Sheedy January 15, 2018

Thanks @Philip HodderLooks like my test reports are being captured in the build teardown, but I don't see anything in the UI to indicate failed or passing tests. 

Found 22 test report files.
All test reports aggregated into 44 test cases
Uploading test results
Finished uploading test results.

When you say "should be showing on the step", is that displayed in the log output of the individual build or the main pipelines screen that shows all builds?

Correction. I do see failing tests, but it's not displayed in the same way as the screenshot you posted. 

FailedBitbucketTest.png

Philip Hodder
Atlassian Team
January 15, 2018

@Jason Sheedy

Sorry, I just showed a subset of the page. Here's the whole result:

Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 10.36.54 am.pngThe same view as you're looking at.

Thanks,

Phil

Thanks Phil. I'm not seeing the same thing. Could there be some difference because it's an academic team account? (See below)

Screenshot from 2018-01-16 12-45-08.png

Philip Hodder
Atlassian Team
January 15, 2018

@Jason Sheedy

Using an academic account is unlikely to be the issue here. It looks like you just have your log view expanded. Do you have an icon that looks like this on the top right of your screen?

Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 1.49.59 pm.png

Larger screenshot here. Look at the top right (next to 'Download raw'):

Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 1.50.15 pm.png

If so, when you click it you should see what I'm seeing.

If not, can you let me know what Browser + Version + OS you're using?

Thanks,

Phil

Oh wow. I feel kind of stupid. I see it now, but I've got to say that it's less than intuitive. Maybe a job for the UX team??

Thanks for your help.

Philip Hodder
Atlassian Team
January 15, 2018

No worries. I'll pass on the feedback. :)

Deleted user February 6, 2018

Is there any permission needed to get setup before you can view test reports? base from the log it already created the report but I'm not sure why I wasn't able to access it or maybe it's just permission issue or I'm doing it the wrong way.

Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 2.49.36 PM.png

TL February 8, 2018

@Philip Hodder

Hello,

I cannot see the test reports too. I'm on Windows 10, with both Chrome & Firefox (latest versions).

I tried with 1 or 2 steps, but still there is no dropdown next to "Logs" to switch to test reports. The tests should be visible since half of them fail. The screen is almost the same as for the previous post (except it is not the same project).

How can I view the test reports ?

Philip Hodder
Atlassian Team
February 8, 2018

Hi,

What do you see in the logs for the Build Teardown command? Are any tests being discovered?

Which directory are the tests being output to at the moment? We only check for reports in certain directories. Have a look at the documentation here to double check: https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/test-reporting-in-pipelines-939708543.html

Thanks,

Phil

TL February 9, 2018

Hi,

I output the tests in the "test-results" directory, and they are found in teardown, but not shown even if half of them have failed... See the image below:

bp.png

Thanks,
TL

TL February 9, 2018

Ok, I think I understand: tests are shown only if the result code is not 0 (which is not the same as all tests succeed...)

Philip Hodder
Atlassian Team
February 11, 2018

Hi,

The Test Result view will be shown by default if you have failed tests + failed pipeline.

However, it looks like a bug that you can't navigate to the tests even though you have failures (but a green build). I'll open an internal ticket to fix this.

Thanks,

Phil

Deleted user February 13, 2018

Hi @Philip Hodder

I can now see Test Result view but it doesn't show anything on my endScreen Shot 2018-02-14 at 2.25.39 PM.png

Philip Hodder
Atlassian Team
February 14, 2018

Looks like the XML isn't being parsed correctly. What build tool are you using? Are you able to show me the XML that is being output?

Deleted user February 14, 2018

@Philip Hodder

I'm using codeception for automation test. Here's an example of the xml file result

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<testsuites>
<testsuite name="acceptance (chrome-qa)" tests="13" assertions="83" failures="2" errors="0" time="203.458746">
<testcase file="/Users/lovie/Documents/Projects/web/tests/tests/acceptance/Sanity/004-WinePageCest.php" name="loadLoginPage" class="WinePageCest" feature="load login page" assertions="0" time="9.928986"/>
<testcase file="/Users/lovie/Documents/Projects/web/tests/tests/acceptance/Sanity/004-WinePageCest.php" name="loginUser" class="WinePageCest" feature="login user" assertions="0" time="7.722183"/>
<testcase file="/Users/lovie/Documents/Projects/web/tests/tests/acceptance/Sanity/004-WinePageCest.php" name="redirectToMyCollectionsWines" class="WinePageCest" feature="redirect to my collections wines" assertions="0" time="7.060703"/>
<testcase file="/Users/lovie/Documents/Projects/web/tests/tests/acceptance/Sanity/004-WinePageCest.php" name="verifyWinesPage" class="WinePageCest" feature="verify wines page" assertions="18" time="11.594282"/>
<testcase file="/Users/lovie/Documents/Projects/web/tests/tests/acceptance/Sanity/004-WinePageCest.php" name="verifyAddWineModal" class="WinePageCest" feature="verify add wine modal" assertions="12" time="19.244257"/>
<testcase file="/Users/lovie/Documents/Projects/web/tests/tests/acceptance/Sanity/004-WinePageCest.php" name="verifyCellar" class="WinePageCest" feature="verify cellar" assertions="1" time="8.617440"/>
<testcase file="/Users/lovie/Documents/Projects/web/tests/tests/acceptance/Sanity/004-WinePageCest.php" name="verifyLocation" class="WinePageCest" feature="verify location" assertions="1" time="8.631113"/>
<testcase file="/Users/lovie/Documents/Projects/web/tests/tests/acceptance/Sanity/004-WinePageCest.php" name="verifyBin" class="WinePageCest" feature="verify bin" assertions="1" time="8.732308"/>
<testcase file="/Users/lovie/Documents/Projects/web/tests/tests/acceptance/Sanity/004-WinePageCest.php" name="verifyBrowseWinesDetailsCatalogs" class="WinePageCest" feature="verify browse wines details catalogs" assertions="24" time="35.186749">
<failure type="Codeception\Exception\ConditionalAssertionFailed">WinePageCest: Verify browse wines details catalogs
Failed asserting that on page /wines/browse/1789818
--&gt; Wines
Add Asset
WINES SUMMARYWINES COLLECTION131BROWSE WINESDRINK SOONLOCATIONS
2013 "Carlo V" il Rosso dell' Imperatore Merlot and Cabernet Venezie IGT
RED
2016 ”Podere Casa Guidi” di Giuseppe Leonelli Barbera Frizzante Emilia IGT
RED - SPARKLING
N.V. ”Podere Casa Guidi” di Giuseppe Leonell
[Content too long to display. See complete response in '/Users/lovie/Documents/Projects/web/tests/tests/_output/raw/' directory]
--&gt; contains "vintage1".

/Users/lovie/Documents/Projects/web/tests/tests/_support/_generated/AcceptanceTesterActions.php:858
/Users/lovie/Documents/Projects/web/tests/tests/_support/Page/WinePage.php:230
/Users/lovie/Documents/Projects/web/tests/tests/acceptance/Sanity/004-WinePageCest.php:89
</failure>
</testcase>
<testcase file="/Users/lovie/Documents/Projects/web/tests/tests/acceptance/Sanity/004-WinePageCest.php" name="addWine" class="WinePageCest" feature="add wine" assertions="1" time="41.462510"/>
<testcase file="/Users/lovie/Documents/Projects/web/tests/tests/acceptance/Sanity/004-WinePageCest.php" name="browseWinesFromInventory" class="WinePageCest" feature="browse wines from inventory" assertions="1" time="16.380560"/>
<testcase file="/Users/lovie/Documents/Projects/web/tests/tests/acceptance/Sanity/004-WinePageCest.php" name="verifyBrowseWinesDetailsInventory" class="WinePageCest" feature="verify browse wines details inventory" assertions="24" time="23.722190">
<failure type="Codeception\Exception\ConditionalAssertionFailed">WinePageCest: Verify browse wines details inventory
Failed asserting that on page /wines/collection/1772564
--&gt; Wines
Add Asset
WINES SUMMARYWINES COLLECTION132BROWSE WINESDRINK SOONLOCATIONS
1876 ”Podere Casa Guidi” di Giuseppe Leonelli Vino Nouvo Emilia IGT
RED
1999 3 Bridges Sémillon Golden Mist
WHITE - SWEET/DESSERT
1999 Kevin Cabrera Grape Producer
RED
1999 Montecalvi Alta Valle della Greve IGT
RED

[Content too long to display. See complete response in '/Users/lovie/Documents/Projects/web/tests/tests/_output/raw/' directory]
--&gt; contains "vintage1".

/Users/lovie/Documents/Projects/web/tests/tests/_support/_generated/AcceptanceTesterActions.php:858
/Users/lovie/Documents/Projects/web/tests/tests/_support/Page/WinePage.php:230
/Users/lovie/Documents/Projects/web/tests/tests/acceptance/Sanity/004-WinePageCest.php:116
</failure>
</testcase>
<testcase file="/Users/lovie/Documents/Projects/web/tests/tests/acceptance/Sanity/004-WinePageCest.php" name="logoutUser" class="WinePageCest" feature="logout user" assertions="0" time="5.175464"/>
</testsuite>
</testsuites>
Daniel February 28, 2018

@Philip Hodder I have the exact same problem as @[deleted]. I can only see the "m/n test failures", but I do not see the individual failed cases.  

The reports are generated by eslint. Neither eslint -f junit, or eslint -f tap | tap-xunit produces files that file show individual failure reports on the test results page.

eslint -f junit example

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<testsuites>
<testsuite package="org.eslint" time="0" tests="2" errors="2" name="/home/daniel/Documents/flying_sheep/code/sheepcore-boilerplate/src/js/index.js">
<testcase time="0" name="org.eslint.no-mixed-operators"><failure message="Unexpected mix of &apos;&amp;&amp;&apos; and &apos;||&apos;."><![CDATA[line 20, col 16, Error - Unexpected mix of &apos;&amp;&amp;&apos; and &apos;||&apos;. (no-mixed-operators)]]></failure></testcase>
<testcase time="0" name="org.eslint.no-mixed-operators"><failure message="Unexpected mix of &apos;&amp;&amp;&apos; and &apos;||&apos;."><![CDATA[line 20, col 25, Error - Unexpected mix of &apos;&amp;&amp;&apos; and &apos;||&apos;. (no-mixed-operators)]]></failure></testcase>
</testsuite>
<testsuite package="org.eslint" time="0" tests="2" errors="2" name="/home/daniel/Documents/flying_sheep/code/sheepcore-boilerplate/src/js/state/ThreeExample.js">
<testcase time="0" name="org.eslint.padded-blocks"><failure message="Block must not be padded by blank lines."><![CDATA[line 15, col 1, Error - Block must not be padded by blank lines. (padded-blocks)]]></failure></testcase>
<testcase time="0" name="org.eslint.indent"><failure message="Expected indentation of 1 tab but found 0."><![CDATA[line 15, col 1, Error - Expected indentation of 1 tab but found 0. (indent)]]></failure></testcase>
</testsuite>
</testsuites>

eslint -f tap | tap-xunit example

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<testsuites>
<testsuite tests="2" failures="2" errors="0" name="Default">
<testcase name="#1 /home/daniel/Documents/flying_sheep/code/sheepcore-boilerplate/src/js/index.js">
<failure>
---
severity: error
data: {"line":20,"column":16,"ruleId":"no-mixed-operators"}
messages: [{"message":"Unexpected mix of '&amp;&amp;' and '||'.","severity":"error","data":{"line":20,"column":25,"ruleId":"no-mixed-operators"}}]
</failure>
</testcase>
<testcase name="#2 /home/daniel/Documents/flying_sheep/code/sheepcore-boilerplate/src/js/state/ThreeExample.js">
<failure>
---
severity: error
data: {"line":15,"column":1,"ruleId":"padded-blocks"}
messages: [{"message":"Expected indentation of 1 tab but found 0.","severity":"error","data":{"line":15,"column":1,"ruleId":"indent"}}]
</failure>
</testcase>
</testsuite>
</testsuites>

I also am seeing the tests results being collected only in the build teardown.
If there are no errors I don't see anything else in the web interface. Maybe I need some setup. It does says that the test results from junit (Android build) are found and uploaded.

Pipelines.png

Philip Hodder
Atlassian Team
March 6, 2018

Hi,

At the moment we're only showing full results of failed tests. Can you check that you see them when you have failed tests?

Is there anything in particular you'd be interested in seeing when all your tests have passed?

Thanks,

Phil

Daniel March 6, 2018

Phil, do you have any feedback on why John and I don't see any details for failed tests with the XML we provided?

Philip Hodder
Atlassian Team
March 6, 2018

Nothing immediate. I'll look into that now.

Philip Hodder
Atlassian Team
March 6, 2018

Daniel,

Can you check to see if this is still an issue for you?

We've fixed some bugs in our parser that appear to make your XML parse properly now. I've checked the previously submitted XML files and they all now parse successfully in our parser.

Thanks,

Phil

Daniel March 6, 2018

Thank you, Phil!

I'll check tomorrow at work and get back to you. 

Philip Hodder
Atlassian Team
March 6, 2018

Excellent!

Let me know how it goes.

Daniel March 7, 2018

Phil,

I tested both formats again, eslint's JUinit formatting and eslint's tap output piped through tap-xunit. Unfortunately, I still just have the x/x failures display, but no list of failures.

Is your updated parser rolled out to everybody, or might I just need to wait some more?

Thank you,
Danielfail.jpg

Philip Hodder
Atlassian Team
March 12, 2018

Hi Daniel,

I've opened an internal bug report. As I get the same issue when I use your XML.

Thanks,

Phil

Daniel March 13, 2018

Thanks, Phil!

Dagoberto J_ Ortiz September 29, 2021

Hi.

I have an issue were Maven/BitBucket are reporting 3 times the amount of tests that I actually have. This is because the test report scanner is getting the information from three different directories. How can I configure the pipeline so only one report can be read by the Test Report Scanner?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events