Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When using an app password in attempt to push, I get an error prompting me to use an app password

Alex Upah June 6, 2022

I am attempting to push a commit through a command terminal, and even though I am using an app password when prompted, I get an error message telling me I need to use an app password. I get this error message regardless of what i enter for the password, even if it is a completely incorrect password. I have 2 factor authentication enabled and set up, but don't know if I am making some error in setting up an app password or entering my app password. Does anyone know or have any experience with this error even when attempting to use an app password?

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 8, 2022

Hi Alex,

There might be a Git credential helper installed and used in your system which has your Bitbucket account's password stored, and that stored password may be used instead of what you enter.

You can check if that's the case if you run the following three commands in the command line application you use:

git config --system credential.helper
git config --global credential.helper
git config --local credential.helper

These will show if a credential helper is used a) for all users in your system b) only for your user c) for a specific repository, respectively.

If a credential helper is used, I would suggest clearing all saved credentials for https://bitbucket.org/ from that credential helper and then try pushing again.

Please feel free to let me know how it goes and if you need further assistance.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events