Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When requesting changes in pull requests, how should assignees notify the peer reviewer back?

Thompson Lee September 9, 2021

When I'm assigned as the peer reviewer for a pull request, I typically look over the code changes and then put in my comments. After that, I mark the pull request with "Request Changes" at the top, to signify that the assignee needs to look over the changes being requested, and tell them to fix the issues found.

The problem that I was told, is when the assignee has finished fixing the codes and updated them with the changes being requested, they said they have no idea how to notify the peer reviewer, that is making the requested changes, to revisit their pull requests.

The notification system isn't working as intended for pull requests.

How should I, the peer reviewer, receive notifications of the pull requests where the requested changes are implemented and fixed, from the assignee of the pull requests?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 13, 2021

Hi, @Thompson Lee

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

Currently, there are 2 ways of receiving a notification when the assignee finishes the changes in a Pull Request:

1. You can change your notifications to receive an email every time someone makes a commit on the repository. In order to do that, you can follow the next steps:

• Open the repository
  • On the Source page, click on the three dots in the upper right corner
  • Select Manage notifications
  • Click on Watch this repository option
  • Then select the "Pull requests" and "Commits" to receive these notifications

2. Or, the user who made the updates on the code can add a comment on the Pull Request to inform you that they have finished the changes. This way, you should receive a notification about this comment if you are watching this Pull Request.

• In order to confirm if you are watching this PR, you can open the Pull Request > Click on the three dots in the upper right corner > You should see "Stop watching" if you are watching the PR. In case you are not watching it, you will see the "Watching" option.

If none of these options are what you're looking for, we can create a request feature for our development team to add a notification when a user makes a change to the code under a Pull request. This feature request would be analyzed in accordance with our Feature Request Policy.

I hope this helps, but do let me know if you have any questions. 

Kind regards,
Caroline

Thompson Lee September 13, 2021

Can the assignees revert the "Requested Changes" icon back?

When a peer reviewer requests for changes, he or she will click on the "Request Changes" and the icon will turn orange. I am wondering if it's possible for the assignees to revert that back, after they finished making new changes to the pull request?

Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 14, 2021

Hi, @Thompson Lee

Currently, this is not possible, but I understand that this would be a great feature to implement, so I went ahead and created a feature request to our dev team: 

Right now, I would recommend that the users add a comment to inform the reviewers that the code was updated and they should receive a notification. 

I would suggest that you add your vote there (by selecting the Vote for this issue link) as the number of votes helps the development team and product managers better understand the demand for new features.

You are more than welcome to leave any feedback, and you can also add yourself as a watcher (by selecting the Start watching this issue link) if you'd like to get notified via email on updates.

Implementation of new features is done as per our policy here and any updates will be posted in the feature request. 

Kind regards,
Caroline

Thompson Lee September 14, 2021

Thank you so much for the information. I'll be following the ticket as well.

Like Caroline R likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events