What's the sense of naming virtually different Atlassian Products identical?

Does the identical naming of (functional) different products by Atlassian make sense (beside marketing)?

• Bitbucket Server and Bitbucket Cloud
  • SourceTree for Windows and for Mac

Those products pairs do have the same target (hosting repositories, GUI for git) - but completly different functionality. This is very annoying when searching for support/help: you find an answer for your  SourceTree-question  - and the feature is not available for your Sourcetree, as it's on the other OS. (Same for example for Bitbucket plugins ...)

Maybe Atlassian plans to unify those products, but I doubt they ever will (see: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/188551)

I cannot see any sense behind this - execpt marketing ...

2 answers

2 votes
Raj Sarkar Atlassian Team Jan 07, 2016

I can speak for rebranding Stash to Bitbucket Server. We discovered that customers were frequently confused between Stash and Bitbucket. We would occasionally hear - how can we get Stash in the cloud or how can we get Bitbucket behind the firewall? So we wanted to simplify the naming and make it similar to other products in the Atlassian family like Confluence or HipChat. See here if you have more questions: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BitbucketServer/Bitbucket+rebrand+FAQ

Doing so, you just helped users/newbies/boneheads, who are not able to differntiate between two different products with similiar functionality - but you hamper the daily life of most of your higher skilled users.

This seems to be a general tendency: Fishing for newbies by offering some shiny new names or features, ignoring the needs of high leveled, long time users (or even worse: intimidate high leveld users). Best example are the recent "enhancements " of Sourcetree 1.8 which were mainly visual enhancements(???) to get a shiny blinky mainstream flat design to satisfy the needs of some GUI-freaks, but introducing myriads of bugs and NO new features - which were often demanded by the mass of your main users (you just have to look at the feature requests for SourceTree).

Those products are no mainstream products, but products for high skilled developers (and thoese people should be able to understand that STASH and Bitbucket are different products - if not, I doubt their skills...) - so why running after the mainstream?

I share your pain. And with the split of JIRA in to JIRA Core, JIRA Software and JIRA Service Desk the pain is multiplied... Where do you look if you have both JIRA Software and JIRA Service Desk... [Running for the padded room to bang head on wall...]

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jun 12, 2018 in Bitbucket

Do you use any Atlassian products for your personal projects?

After spinning my wheels trying to get organized enough to write a book for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) I took my affinity for Atlassian products from my work life and decided to tr...

161 views 20 8
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you