What's the different between the "main branch" and the others, non-main branches?

As per title, I'd like to understand how the "main branch" is different from the other.

Thanks!

1 answer

0 vote

Hi Gianluigi! The difference is that you use the main branch for the main line of development and use other branches to diverge from it and continue working in your new features without messing with that main line. Git encourages workflows that branch and merge often, even multiple times in a day. 

For an extended explanation about how branching works, I'd recommend you reading Basic Branching and Merging

Hope this helps :)

Ana

That's good marketing talk, but still doesn't explain what's actually different between the branch flagged as "main branch" and any other branches.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Piotr Plewa
Published Dec 27, 2017 in Bitbucket

Recipe: Deploying AWS Lambda functions with Bitbucket Pipelines

Bitbucket Pipelines helps me manage and automate a number of serverless deployments to AWS Lambda and this is how I do it. I'm building Node.js Lambda functions using node-lambda&nbsp...

706 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot