Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the proper and simplest way (hopefully a How To Guide) to connect via SSH to the git?

capuromeyer January 29, 2022

Hello,

Hopefully someone can point me to the right documentation on this matter.

I'm getting this emails saying there will no longer be able to use password.

What is the proper and simplest way (hopefully a How To Guide) to connect via SSH from an own server to the git at bitbucket using other method other than password?

2 answers

1 vote
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 1, 2022

Hi, @capuromeyer, thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community.

Just to complement Robert’s answer, in order to change your authentication method in Git, you can change the remote URL of your repository (you can switch it to SSH/HTTPS). In order to modify that, you can run the following commands:

1. From a terminal, navigate to the repository:

$ cd ~/<path_to_repo>

2. Run git remote -v to see the current remote URL:

$ git remote -v
origin https://emmap1@bitbucket.org/tutorials/tutorials.git.bitbucket.org.git (fetch)
origin https://emmap1@bitbucket.org/tutorials/tutorials.git.bitbucket.org.git (push)

3. Update the remote URL with git remote set-url using the current and new remote URLs.

$ git remote set-url origin git@bitbucket.org:{workspaceID}/{repository_name}.git

In case you would like to read more about how to change the remote URL of your repository, you can access the following page:

And if you need any help to configure an SSH key, you can find more information here:

I hope this helps, but do let me know if you have any questions. 

Kind regards,
Caroline 

0 votes
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2022

Are you talking about setting up an SSH key?  Here is the documentation for how to do that .

https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/set-up-an-ssh-key/

capuromeyer January 31, 2022

Hi thanks for replying

Actually, I'm talking about command line push/pull to a repository at Bitbucket.

I will try to explain myself further.

Let's say we have a simple web project within an Bitbucket's private repository. All development changes are made at development/staging servers after being ready we push changes via Git to Bitbucket; then from a production server via Git we pull those changes to live production.

Working on Ubuntu environment, we use:

git push origin production (development --> Bitbucket)
git pull (Bitbucket --> production)

when using the above, the command line asks for a password [bitbucket user password] and all is done, I understand it will no longer be possible to do it by a password.

I don't know how to do the above by other methods; as passwords will be deprecated I'm forced to learn a new way, hence my question.

What is the easiest/simple way to do it?

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2022

If you're talking about personal account passwords going away, this deprecation notice specifies this affects connecting to the Bitbucket API and using git over HTTPS.  SSH doesn't appear to be affected.

Since it appears you're talking about using git over SSH, the original link I supplied does apply.  That's what I use to connect between my local repo and Bitbucket.

Hope this helps.

capuromeyer January 31, 2022

Hi, thanks for replying.

I'm a little confused by now.

When cloning a repository into a server I use:

git clone https://bitbucket.org/team/repository.git /path/to/directory

I believe I'm connecting through HTTPS

Will this be affected?

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 31, 2022

You're connecting over HTTPS.  Connecting over SSH would look like:

git clone git@bitbucket.org:team/repository.git /path/to/directory

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events