What is the best process for Iterative Pull Requests (2nd or 3rd set of changes to peer review)

jdugasMT November 4, 2021

I am struggling to come up with a good and simple method of doing second pass and third pass peer reviews on pull requests. 

I've come from an environment where we were using Crucible on our own server. Crucible had shortcomings for sure, but it handled iterative code reviews fairly well. I was able to see changes made between iterations of the code. With bitbucket I can look at all the individual commits after the first pass, but often times there are 3 or more commits after the initial review. Having to look at all these separately can be confusing when changes are undone/modifed on subsequent commits. Is there a good way to see the subsequent review commits combined without making multiple branches?

I'm hoping I'm just missing something in the features of BitBucket cloud.

thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 8, 2021

Hi, @jdugasMT

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

Currently, we don’t have Iterative Pull Requests in the Bitbucket cloud, but we already have a feature request to add this functionality:

However, we have a workaround that could help you see the changes introduced in e.g. the last 2 commits of the source branch, but the diff will not take into account the master branch. These are the steps you can follow to compare these commits:

• Go to the Source page of the repo > select the 3 dots from the upper right corner; 

• Open Compare branches or tags; 

• In the dropdowns of the Compare page, enter the commit hash you would like to compare; 

• Click on Compare. 

• This diff will only show the changes introduced between these 2 commits. 

Also, I would suggest that you add your vote in the feature request that I mentioned above (by selecting the Vote for this issue link) as the number of votes helps the development team and product managers better understand the demand for new features. 

You are more than welcome to leave any feedback, and you can also add yourself as a watcher (by selecting the Start watching this issue link) if you'd like to get notified via email on updates.

Implementation of new features is done as per our policy here and any updates will be posted in the feature request. 

I hope this helps, but do let me know if you have any questions. 

Kind regards,
Caroline

jdugasMT November 9, 2021

Thank you. I voted on BCLOUD-14889 and made my peers aware of it. 

I was not aware that I could put commit hashes into the compare destination/source fields. That is a reasonable workaround for the time being.

Like Caroline R likes this
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 9, 2021

Hi, @jdugasMT

I'm glad to know the workaround will be useful to you and your team. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events