What happens if I merge a PR that is out of sync from master?

Lynnard Mondigo February 3, 2020

Does Bitbucket handle the fast-forward of branches or will my merge revert the files that are out of sync from master?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 3, 2020

Hello @Lynnard Mondigo ,

Do you mean some clashing changes in the PR source branch and in the target branch? You'll see conflicts for those files in that case, Bitbucket won't let you merge that PR until you resolve them.

Let me know if I got you wrong.

Cheers,
Daniil

Lynnard Mondigo February 3, 2020

Hi @Daniil Penkin 

Not clashing per se. Let's say for example a PR that has been created few days ago has changes in File A but do not conflict with the current master. However, the PR is 10 commits behind (changes to Files B, C, D).

The question is, when I merge the PR, is the PR fastforwarded in the background? Will only the File A on master branch be affected?

Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 7, 2020

Fast-forward will not work in this case, e.g. if you select fast-forwar only, PR merge will fail. This is because fast-forward is only possible when target branch has not changed since common merge base (since you branched off it).

You can merge the PR you described using a merge commit. Only file A will be updated on the master branch, just like it was on the PR source branch. So, in the end changes to all files A, B, C and D will appear in master.

Note that master could've had changes to file A too, but you'll be able to merge a PR only if such changes don't clash with the changes in that PR, e.g. if they're in different chunks of the file. Also, as described in this nice blog post, what Bitbucket shows you in PR UI is the future result of merging. So you will see potential changes to the same files done in the target branch on context lines.

Does this make sense?

Cheers,
Daniil

Like cheng.liang likes this
Lynnard Mondigo February 9, 2020

It makes sense now and I've tried it out also using test repos. 

You have mentioned using a merge commit. How about a squash commit? Will it have the same result aside from all commits in the PR being squashed into one?

Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
February 9, 2020

Squash merge will squash all changes done in the source branch (as in, all changes from the tip of the source branch up to the merge base – latest common commit for source and destination branches) into one commit and put it on top of the destination branch. There will be no "merge commit" and no relation to the source branch if you didn't specify to close it.

Does this make sense? Here's the Git documentation on the merge --squash operation.

Like Dima Habasescu likes this
Lynnard Mondigo February 9, 2020

Last question before I accept your answer.

For PRs that are usually commits behind develop (no merge conflicts), do you suggest merge commit or squash commit?

Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
February 9, 2020

Unfortunately, this is not something I can suggest on, it is subject of controversy :)

This should be a personal preference or a convention within the team that works on the repository. Each option has its pros and cons, and there're debates on which one to use in which kind of projects.

For instance, if you want the repository history to be streamlined but are ok with losing some historical metadata, you'd prefer to squash or rebase + fast-forward. Likewise, if tracking how and when the code evolved, how different streams of worked co-existed, etc. is a must, you'd prefer to keep all commits like they are and hence use merge commits. However, the graph of the commits might become way more complicated in this case.

Hope this helps.

Like Lynnard Mondigo likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events