Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

What does the behind/ahead column mean in the branch view

On 1 of the repo I work, one of the feature branch behind/ahead column says 41/36 (aka 36 ahead and 41 behind). The branch has been merged so I would assume the branch should be behind....

So my questions are:

-What does the behind/ahead column mean ?

- How a branch can be both behing and ahead of another branch ?

Thanks for your help

2 answers

The OP said "The branch has been merged" so I would think the branch should no longer be "Ahead" of the master branch. We have the same issue. The branch has already been merged but it says the branch is still multiple commits "Ahead" of the master branch. When I go to Create a Pull Request, it says "There are no changes. No commits on BranchName that aren't on master." and will not let me click on the "Create pull request" button.

same problem here. 

E.g. I merge /develop into /master. After that, my develop branch is 1 behind master (expected) but still many commits ahead. Creating a new PR from /develop to /master shows me all previous changes again in the description although no files are changed.. 

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg Community Leader Oct 01, 2019

Hi @brieucdesoutter,

Welcome to Atlassian Community.

What the the behind/ahead column is telling you that you have made changes on your branch that has not yet made it to the default branch (the branch Bitbucket is comparing against), meaning your branch is ahead. If there are changes on the default branch that has not yet made it into your branch, then it means your branch is behind the default branch. A branch can be both ahead and behind at the same time if you have made changes to your branch, and someone else have made changes on the default branch that you have not merged into your branch yet. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

Calling any interview participants for Bitbucket Data Center

Hi everyone,  We are looking to learn more about development teams’ workflows and pain points, especially around DevOps, integrations, administration, scale, security, and the related challeng...

485 views 5 4
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you