Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does the Workspace privacy setting offer?

MikeH April 29, 2022

Hello,

New to Bitbucket admin, which I have been tasked with looking at. I have question about the privacy setting for a workspace, what does it do beyond the privacy settings for the project and the repository?

If we have set the project and/or repo as private do we need to set the workspace that contains them as private also, if we don't I presume our workspace is publicly visible all the content within is not?

In Bitbucket cloud is there any issues to setting the workspace to private, all required users have been assigned to the workspace with appropriate privileges?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 3, 2022

Hi @MikeH and welcome to the community.

If the workspace privacy setting is unchecked, then someone who visits the workspace URL will be able to via a list of all public repos and public projects of this workspace, and also any public snippets.

If you don't have any public repos, projects, and snippets, a user with no access will see an empty list.
When the workspace is set to private, a user with no access will not be able to view even that empty list of repos/projects/snippets.

If all repos, projects, and snippets are private it won't make any difference, but you can still set the workspace to private just in case someone accidentally creates a public repo, project, or snippet so that it won't be visible to someone by visiting your workspace URL.

The access you have granted to users is not affected by that setting.

Kind regards,
Theodora

MikeH May 3, 2022

Thank you for taking the time to respond Theodora, much appreciated

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events