Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What causes a "remotely merged the pull request"

jeff.serviss February 28, 2018

We recently upgraded to Bitbucket 5.8 so I am not sure if this is a new feature.  We have seen a couple pull requests merged with a "remotely merged the pull request" message.  The thing is we do not know how/who did the merge.  

2 answers

0 votes
Hongbo-Miao October 14, 2020

In my case, it is because

Bitbucket will mark a pull request as remotely merge when the source and the target branch contains the same commits. This means that the commits (identified by the hash of the commit) must be present on both branches. If there is at least one difference, Bitbucket will not consider the branch has been remotely merged. Note: the diffs could be the same, what really matters here is the Git history of the two branches.

This usually happens when resolving the conflict via a rebase or a squash commit, in these cases the Git history will be different and the pull request will not be marked as merged.

Reference: https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserverkb/remote-merge-is-not-happening-in-bitbucket-server-961777854.html

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 6, 2018

Hi Jeff, I found this thread on Community that explains the meaning of remotely merged pull requests, there's a whole conversation about it so I think it's interesting to read:  Pull requests, Squashed commits, Remote Merges.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Cheers,

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events