What are the effects of converting to a team?

Shawn Goff December 12, 2012

I'm not really clear what will happen when I convert an account to a team.

I originally created a regular account for our team (before the official teams support) and have been using that account to be the official repositories for our projects. This means everyone has a git remote that points to this account on Bitbucket. If I convert the account to a team, will everyone have to fix there git configs to point to a new url?

I originally signed this accuont up with my own company e-mail address, then when I signed up for an account for myself, I found I couldn't use my own address. If I convert to a team, will I be able to take that e-mail address back and put it on my own account?

How does billing work with teams? Right now, my account has a plan large enough for all the developers in the compnay. If I convert the account to a team, how does that work? Is the plan still attached to the team, or do I need to do something with our individual developer's accounts?

That's all I have for now. Basically, I want to know if I convert to a team that it won't take a lot of time to deal with the outcome.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
aMarcus
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 12, 2012

Shawn,

The main difference between an indivudal account and a team account is that with teams, you are able to administer the team as your individual user. It is essnetially enabled delegated adminsitration of another account. The advantages are that you can have multiple users that are adminsitrators of the team, and others who can only create repsoitroies. You still have groups as well. This is explained in depth in our docs. As time goes on, we will be adding more features to manage and show profile information on teams differently from an indivudal account.

As for email addresses, all accounts still require a unique email address. If you use Gmail (or some others), you can always use a + in your email address to trick the system into accepting your same email for multiple accounts. This is explained in this article I found.

If you already have a paid account for your username, nothing will change when you convert to a team. Your username will not change unless you change it, which means your repo URLs will not change either. You'd want all of the repositories owned by the team, with each member being listed at the team level. The user limit will not be inherited to the team members.

Ultimately, you'll have the following default setup:

• Team - Paid account (if you like, teams are free for 5 users too)
    • Administrators group: Your individual user account, other memebers
    • Developers group: Other members

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events