View the file history in the remote repository

Noah Hoffman December 11, 2012

Hello,

I know I can view the history of a file in my local database within SourceTree by right clicking on the file and selecting "Log Selected". Is there a way to see the history of a file in the remote repository before doing a pull?

Thanks,

Noah

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2012

If you're using Git, ou can use 'Fetch' to retrieve the remote branch state (but without pulling it into your local branches), then select any of the commits in the log which are outside your local branch state - the history functions here work exactly the same way as for commits that are in your local branches. YOu can toggle the remote branches on/off in the scope bar above the log.

In Mercurial, there's no way to do this right now. In future we intend to allow more detailed information to be provided in the 'incoming' view before you confirm a pull, although in this case it's likely to be limited to just looking at each incoming commit in turn rather than having a unified remote view of file history.

2 votes
Erik van der Neut July 31, 2014

This is how I do it: go to Working Copy, change the file filter from Pending to "All files", and then either browse your repository or just type part of the file name in the filter text edit field at the top right. That filter works great as a way to drill down quickly on the file you are looking for. When you have found the file you want to know the history of: right click and select "Log Selected...", et vôila! :-)

The resulting list shows the dates the files was changed, who made the change, their commit comments, and of course a detailed breakdown of the exact changes.

Hope this helps.

Erik

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events