Validate squash commit message

Viktor Busko December 23, 2022

Hi guys,

Is it possible to validate commit messages that you write on merge from bitbucket UI?

The idea is that I would like to use conventional commits so I can generate a proper changelog using semantic release.

The problem is that we squash our commits on merge and the developer should provide a new message when we "squash merge" feature into the dev branch.

I want somehow ensure that this message is in a proper format that can be later used by "semantic release" to generate the changelog.

Is there any way to do this?

1 answer

1 vote
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 28, 2022

Hi Viktor and welcome to the community!

I'm afraid that this is not possible at the moment, as Bitbucket Cloud doesn't support pre-receive hooks that would allow you to configure this. We have a feature request about this in our issue tracker:

I would suggest adding your vote and a comment with your use case to that feature request to express your interest. You can also add yourself as a watcher (by selecting the Start watching this issue link) if you'd like to get notified via email on updates.

Implementation of new features is done as per our policy here and any updates will be posted in the feature request.

We also have another feature request for the ability to customize the PR default commit message, although this concerns providing a template rather than enforcing it:

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events