Using trigger-pipeline to trigger the 'default' pipeline of another repo

plussier August 22, 2022

Hi,

I'm trying to use trigger-pipeline (5.0.1) to trigger other pipelines in other repos. 

For branches like 'master', 'release/*', and 'develop', I want to trigger the corresponding branch in the downstream repo.  But for the 'default' pipeline in "repoA", which gets run on things like 'feature/*' branches, I want to trigger the 'default' pipeline in downstream "repoB".

Generally, this works fine when $BRANCH is one of (master, release/*, develop). But I can't figure out how to trigger the "default" pipeline.

I *could* create a 'custom' pipeline called 'default', and set the value of 'CUSTOM_PIPELINE_NAME' to 'default', but that seems rather redundant. Why have two pipelines called 'default', both of which do exactly the same things, but which get called by different means.

It seems what I'm missing is, how do I trigger the "default" pipeline directly? Does anyone have any idea how to do this?

Thanks.

--

Paul

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mark C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 25, 2022

Hi @plussier,

Thank you for reaching out to the community.

In your repoA YAML file (bitbucket-pipelines.yml), would you be able to confirm if you're using triggers both "default:" and "branches:"?
If yes, do you have the "feature/" branch added in the "branches:" trigger?
If yes again, Pipelines will run the step from the trigger "branches:" instead of the default one.

The default pipeline runs on every push to the repository unless a branch-specific pipeline is defined.

Reference: Configure bitbucket-pipelines.yml - default

For that, you can edit your bitbucket-pipelines.yml (in repoA) and remove the configuration "feature/" from the "branches:" trigger.
Then in your repoB, you can use the Pipes script below which should trigger the default step in repoA for "feature/" branch:

- pipe: atlassian/trigger-pipeline:5.0.1
              variables:
                BITBUCKET_USERNAME: $SOME_USERNAME
                BITBUCKET_APP_PASSWORD: $SOME_APP_PASS
                REPOSITORY: 'repoA'
                REF_TYPE: 'branch'
                REF_NAME: 'feature/1.0'

Hope it helps and let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Mark C

plussier August 26, 2022

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I think I may not have been very clear in what my problem is. I'll try do explain this better.

repoA is a dependency of repoB. Changes in repoA should trigger a build on repoB (using the same branch as the changes occured on in repoA IF AND ONLY IF the changes on repoA are one of (develop, release/*, or master). If repoA is using a feature branch, then it should trigger a rebuild of repoB on the develop branch.

repoB's pipeline looks like this
pipelines:

pipelines:
default:
- step: *build
- step: *testA
- step: *testB
- step: *testC

pull-requests:
'**':

branches:
develop:
- step: *uploadBuildArtifacts

master:

release/*:
- step: *uploadBuildArtifacts

In repoA I have this:

- REFNAME=${BITBUCKET_BRANCH}
- REFTYPE='branch';
- if [[ ! ${BRANCH} =~ (^develop*|^release*|^master*) ]];then echo "caught one of [develop,release,master]"; REFNAME='default'; fi;
- if [[ ${BITBUCKET_TAG} =~ ^20[0-9][0-9]\.[0-9]\.[0-9] ]];then REFTYPE='tag';REFNAME=${BITBUCKET_TAG}; fi;
- export REFTYPE REFNAME;
variables:
BITBUCKET_USERNAME: ${USER}
BITBUCKET_APP_PASSWORD: ${PASSWD}
REPOSITORY: 'repoB'
REF_TYPE: ${REFTYPE}
REF_NAME: ${REFNAME}

So, what I want to have happen is, the trigger-pipeline pipe should trigger the DEFAULT pipeline based on setting REFNAME accordingly. Unfortunately, REFNAME is git reference, not a pipeline target. So I need some way of specifying a pipeline target instead. And so far, the best I can come up with is this:

- REFNAME=${BITBUCKET_BRANCH}
- REFTYPE='branch';
- if [[ ! ${BRANCH} =~ (^develop*|^release*|^master*) ]];then echo "caught one of [develop,release,master]"; export CUSTOM_PIPELINE='default'; REFNAME='develop'; fi;
- if [[ ${BITBUCKET_TAG} =~ ^20[0-9][0-9]\.[0-9]\.[0-9] ]];then REFTYPE='tag';REFNAME=${BITBUCKET_TAG}; fi;
- export REFTYPE REFNAME;
variables:
BITBUCKET_USERNAME: ${USER}
BITBUCKET_APP_PASSWORD: ${PASSWD}
REPOSITORY: 'repoB'
REF_TYPE: ${REFTYPE}
REF_NAME: ${REFNAME}
CUSTOM_PIPELINE_NAME: ${CUSTOM_PIPELINE}

Which requires a custom pipeline target in repoB like this:

custom:
default:

As you can see, this is somewhat redundant. I have 2 pipeline targets which are identical, one named "default" and a custom one also named "default". So what I really need is a way to specify both the pipeline target AND the branch that target should run on. This appears to possible in the Bitbucket UI when manually running pipelines, so I'm guessing there must be a way to do it automatically with trigger-pipeline.

Thanks!
--
Paul

P.S. Also, if there's a way to have multiple steps with yaml anchors be referenced by yet-another yaml anchor, that would be cool too. So rather than having several pipelines which refer to "build", "testA"... etc. I could just say "&standard_build_test" and have that refer to those steps it would really cut down on duplication of code :)

Mark C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 13, 2022

Hi @plussier,

Right now, you can't define the "default" trigger using the variable REF_NAME.
The only way to use "default" trigger is by not providing REF_TYPE and REF_NAME variables but it will only trigger on the main branch of the repository.

For that, I went ahead and created a feature request to include the ability to use "default" trigger for a specific branch.
You can find the feature request through this link. - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD-22190
You can upvote and watch it for now so that you'll be notified of any updates from our team when the feature becomes available on the Pipes script.
Please do note that we don't have an exact ETA for the feature request as all new features will be implemented according to our policy here.

As a workaround, I do believe you can use custom steps in the case of both conditions.

For optimizing your YAML configurations using YAML anchors, I'd recommend using anchors for your scripts if you haven't done it yet.

definitions:
  commonItems: &common
    some_command_here && some_command_here && some_command_here
  steps:
    - step: &build
        script:
          - *common

pipelines:
  custom:
    some_custom_step:

Hope it helps and do let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,
Mark C

plussier December 5, 2022

Sorry for the delayed response. 

Thanks for this suggestion, @Mark C - This is exactly how I've worked around the issue for now!

--

Paul

Like Mark C likes this
Mark C
Atlassian Team
December 5, 2022

Hi @plussier,

I see. Glad to know you've worked around the issue.

Do let me know if you have further questions that I can help with and feel free to mark this question as answered as well.

Regards,
Mark C

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events