Using stash across geographical locations

Hi,

We recently started evaluating stash. We are a small company, but very geographically diverse with several different offices on 3 different continents.

With other source control systems, we have always relied on a proxy/replica server at each office with some sort of centralized "master"

How does this fit into the git/stash architecture?

Would we run multiple instances of stash at each site to handle latency issues?

thanks,

Garret

1 answer

1 accepted

Hi Garret,

TLDR; You can absolutely mirror Git/Stash if you require it, but using Git greatly reduces the need to do so.

As you probably know Git is a DVCS (Distributed Version Control System). Being distributed means that a majority of your operations, like commit/log/blame/checkout/branch, are completely local. Unlike in other source control systems, like SVN/Clearcase/TFS, you're not contacting the server to do every-single-thing. This greatly reduces the need for having to rely on proxy/replica servers.

If latency is still causing you frustrations despite all this, there is no technical reason you couldn't run proxy Stash servers. Being a DVCS, with Git it's a simple matter of pushing all changes from the "master" server to each proxy after it receives some new changes. The part that Stash doesn't (yet) support out-of-the-box is a mirror plugin. It would be a relatively trivial task to either write a plugin that listens for push events, or to manually add a post-receive hook to your Git repositories in Stash, and on either event replicate to the proxies (ie push to each of them in turn). There is an issue you can follow/vote on if you're interested:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/STASH-2714

I hope this helps answer your question.

Charles

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jun 12, 2018 in Bitbucket

Do you use any Atlassian products for your personal projects?

After spinning my wheels trying to get organized enough to write a book for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) I took my affinity for Atlassian products from my work life and decided to tr...

30,941 views 26 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you