Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using bitbucket ssh key in fabric fails

edmcdonagh June 22, 2017

I have setup SSH keys using the pipelines config (use-ssh-keys-in-bitbucket-pipelines), and they work.

To test, in my bitbucket-pipelines.yaml I have the following:

- ssh deploy@dev.openrem.org date

Which results in the following output:

+ ssh deploy@dev.openrem.org date
Warning: Permanently added the RSA host key for IP address '139.162.218.154' to the list of known hosts.
Thu Jun 22 08:47:52 UTC 2017

However, when I use fabric, the key doesn't seem to be used and it tries to ask for a password instead:

fab deploy:host=deploy@dev.openrem.org<1s
+ fab deploy:host=deploy@dev.openrem.org
 /usr/local/lib/python2.7/getpass.py:83: GetPassWarning: Can not control echo on the terminal.
  passwd = fallback_getpass(prompt, stream)
Warning: Password input may be echoed.
[deploy@dev.openrem.org] Executing task 'deploy'
[deploy@dev.openrem.org] run: mkdir -p /home/deploy/sites/dev.openrem.org/database
[deploy@dev.openrem.org] Login password for 'deploy': Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/fabric/main.py", line 757, in main
    *args, **kwargs

I have seen several questions on here that refer to getting fabric to work or similar, but all the solutions involve generating keys manually and setting environment variables (for example SSH-connection-failed-with-pipeline or How-do-I-set-up-ssh-public-key-authentication-so-that-I-can-use and from a blog building-testing-and-deploying-django-app-with-bitbucket-pipelines).

Is it possible to do this with the Bitbucket keys?

3 answers

1 vote
StannousBaratheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 28, 2017

The Pipelines SSH key is now configured for the default user in the build container and works for non root users. I haven't tested this with fabric specifically but there's a chance this change will also solve this issue. Let us know if you have any success with it!

w00kie February 7, 2018

I'm having the same issue today so it does not seem to have fixed it for Fabric.

The docs say that Fabric will use by default:

• Any “id_rsa”, “id_dsa” or “id_ecdsa” key discoverable in ~/.ssh/
  • Any key we can find through an SSH agent

Adding the key to the ~/.ssh/config file is not enough. Would it be possible to have it added to the agent automatically by default with ssh-add ?

w00kie February 15, 2018

I did fix it manually by following recommendations found in a pull request somewhere:

- eval `ssh-agent`
- ssh-add /opt/atlassian/pipelines/agent/data/id_rsa
0 votes
Evgeny Evseev July 26, 2018

Same problem. Working solution:

```

fab -i /opt/atlassian/pipelines/agent/data/id_rsa deploy

```

0 votes
StannousBaratheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 27, 2017

Hi Ed,

Pipelines configures SSH with an additional default IdentityFile which is used whenever SSH is invoked. You can `cat ~/.ssh/config` to see how it's configured.

Note that the referenced file located at `/opt/atlassian/pipelines/agent/data/id_rsa` is owned by the root user so if your process is run as a different user it will not have permission to use the key. There is an open issue to address this limitation.

I suspect either fabric is not running as the root user or it's SSH process is not using the config defined in ~/.ssh/config

If you require further assistance please raise a support ticket via https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket/ so that we may investigate your specific issue.

Regards

Sam

Bart Heesink August 21, 2017

Hi Samuel,

Can you post a link to this open issue? I would like to get some more information about it but can't find the issue.

Thnx.

StannousBaratheon
Atlassian Team
August 21, 2017

Hi Bart,

Sure, this is the public ticket for the issue: https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issues/14457/pipelines-ssh-keys-only-work-for-root

Regards

Sam

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events