Using a Bitbucket Wiki as app documentation

crastino01 November 18, 2018

Can a Bitbucket Wiki be used as user documentation? I.e. if I create a wiki which, in detail, describes how to use my app, can I add a link to the wiki on my website that my users can click on to lean how to use my app? Or would they need a Bitbucket/Atlassian account to view said wiki?

If it's possible for a user of my app to view my wiki without requiring a Bitbucket/Atlassian account, how do I enable the wiki to be viewable by the public. E.g. do I somehow need to "publish" it, or something? And then, where would I find the link that I'd then add to my website for my users to click on?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 20, 2018

Hi Lee! You can definitely use the wiki as user documentation, even if your repository is private. There are different setups, depending on whether you want your repo to be private or public and if you want users to make changes to your wiki, you can find the options in the wiki page:Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 16.57.03.png

Then you can simply share the URL and they'll be able to visit it. 

Let us know if you have any further questions!

Best regards,

Ana

crastino01 November 20, 2018

Hi Ana, thanks for getting back to me! I have three follow-up questions, if that's okay? Please let me know if you'd rather have me open new questions for this though. I'll gladly do that. The first two questions apply to the wiki and issue tracker, and the third is only regarding the issue tracker.

1. Is it's possible to have a different URL to the default /username/project-name/wiki/page-name? In my case, all I really want is to have my username removed from the URL, resulting in a URL that looks like /project-name/wiki/page-name instead, but the more customisable the better, I guess.
  2. Is it possible to customise the actual wiki/issue tracker page? Specifically I, again, want to remove my name from the top of both pages, so that my app's users that come to my bitbucket wiki/issue tracker can't find any information about me such as my other public repos, teams I belong too, and by extension, the other members of teams I belong to.
  3. Is it possible to manually select the fields available on the New Issue page?  In my case, I don't want my users selecting the priority of the issue they're creating and would thus like to remove that field all together.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events