Using SSH instead of HTTPS and AppPasswords

ChuckieAJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2022

Do I understand this correctly?

If I:

1. Use the SSH URL link to the source control project.
  2. Use a public / private key combination (registered with BitBucket).

In the above situation the requirement to use a AppPassword does not apply?

I know that from March 2022 it will not be possible to use your account password. Just wanted to be clear.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 31, 2022

Hi, @ChuckieAJ, thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community.

That is correct, when using basic authentication in Git over HTTPS, you will need to use Bitbucket app passwords. However, if you are using the SSH format in your repository, you can continue to use your ssh key. 

In case you would like to read more about how to change the remote URL to your repository (so you can switch it to SSH/HTTPS), you can access the following page:

And if you need any help to configure an SSH key, you can find more information here:

I hope this helps, but do let me know if you have any questions. 

Kind regards,
Caroline 

ChuckieAJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2022

Thanks @Caroline R . Awesome!

Like Caroline R likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events