Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User vs Group permission precedence. Group read-write and user read-only?

Werner August 11, 2021

Hi,

I've searched the docs, but probably with the wrong words as i could not find a clear answer. The closest i found was https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/grant-repository-access-to-users-and-groups/, but no clear answer.

What is the precedence of user versus group permission on private repository access?

I've a dev group, that per has write access to dev repos. But for one specific repo, i would like to set a specific user, who's part of the "dev" group, to have only Read access only.

by adding that user specifically to the repo and assigning him 'read only' permission, will that overwrite (have precedence) over the group 'dev' that has write permission?

Thanks.

-wm

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 13, 2021

Hi, @Werner

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

Adding a user specifically to the repo and assigning him 'read only' permission will not overwrite the group 'dev' write permission, the user will still be able to write there.

In this case, I would recommend you to create a new group without this user and remove the “dev" group from this repository, this way the user would just have the read-only permission.

I hope this helps, but do let me know if you have any questions. 

Kind regards,
Caroline

Werner August 13, 2021

Hi @Caroline R ,

Thanks for clarifying, even not being as i expected. I would've liked that the usual 'more specific takes precedence' rule, would apply. But at least it's clear the way we'll have to solve it.

Thanks

Have a nice weekend.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events