User private branches support in Stash

Gerrit provides functionality for the creation of an access rule for "refs/heads/dev/${username}/*" branch. Essentially in our work flow we want that the developer should be able to push his branches onto some server, and be sure that nobody else can delete or overwrite them. Does Stash provides any mechanism to achieve this ? If not , is this feature in road map ?

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.
Seb Ruiz Atlassian Team Mar 27, 2013

Stash does not provide this feature at the moment, but it could be coded with a plugin. We will be shipping repository forking in the next release, however which will provide an alternate way of achieving this.

Thanks Seb!

Could you please elaborate how does repository fork provides an alternate way to support

user private branches in Stash . What features will this repository forking feature include ?

Seb Ruiz Atlassian Team Mar 28, 2013

It means that users can push branches to their own repositories, rather than "pollute" the canonical repository. They will be able to restrict their own fork to be private (so no other user can push or delete refs)

So finally private forked repo will be merged to the main repo ? Will there be an inclusion of a review mechanism between this forked repo to main repo merge ( pull requests? )?

Seb Ruiz Atlassian Team Mar 29, 2013

Yes pull requests will work across repository forks

Hi Seb,

Any clue on how can we hook to apply a branch permission (write) to a user id , as soon as the user pushes a branch to the stash server . This will be equivalent to user private branch . This is

a blocker since many of our project teams are looking for this functionality and we are not sure when repository forking will be available in stash .

Regards,

Mohan

Seb Ruiz Atlassian Team Apr 15, 2013

You can't do this currently. Forking will be released very very soon, I promise!

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Aug 10, 2018 in Bitbucket

What is your #1 piece of advice to new users getting started using Bitbucket?

Hello Community! My name is Claire Maynard, and I’m a Product Marketing Manager on the Bitbucket team. I’m interested in hearing what advice or tips you have for new users getting started on ...

243 views 14 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you