Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User alias not working

Bekim August 22, 2021

I have an alias set for my account, however when I push to my repo I see this warning:

remote: Warning!
remote: Your account does not have an email address associated with it

git config looks good on my dev machine, and is using the alias name and email

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 24, 2021

Hi @Bekim and welcome to the community.

When you say you have set an alias for your account, do you mean an email alias? Or a username alias in a repo's Settings? Or something different?

If you set an email alias for your Bitbucket Cloud account or a username alias in a repo's settings, this shouldn't affect your ability to push.

I would like to ask for some additional info, so we can investigate this issue:

1. Are you trying to push to your repo via HTTPS or SSH?

If you're not sure, you can run git remote -v in your local clone of the repo, and see if the URL listed there is an HTTPS or an SSH one.

2. I can find in our system a Bitbucket Cloud account with the same email as the community account you used to create your question. Is this the account that you access the repo with on Bitbucket website? Or does the issue concern a different Bitbucket Cloud account?

Kind regards,
Theodora

Bekim August 24, 2021

Hello Theodora! I should have been more clear. I have an email alias setup on my Personal Settings https://bitbucket.org/account/settings/email/ Do I need to set this up per repo? I must have thought that it would work on any repo.

To test this, I added my alias to https://bitbucket.org/<workspace-id>/<repo-slug>  in the repo settings and I still get the message I first noted.

1. I am using SSH

2. My primary account is <removed_email>, my email alias is <removed_email>

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 25, 2021

Hi @Bekim,

Thank you for your reply and info. Just a heads up, I removed the emails, workspace-id, and repo-slug from your reply for privacy reasons.

It is not necessary to set up the email alias on every repo, I only asked for more details to make sure I have a correct understanding of what you did. Setting an email alias for your Bitbucket Cloud account should map any commits with this email as author to your account. However, it doesn't seem likely that the alias has to do with this warning you see.

I can see in our system that both your Bitbucket Cloud account and also the workspace you mentioned have SSH keys. One possible reason I can think of for this warning is that you may be authenticating with the SSH keys of the workspace, instead of the ones of your account.

If you run the following command on a terminal on this machine:

ssh -T git@bitbucket.org

The output should include a line like "logged in as <username>". Do you see in that line the username of your Bitbucket account or the workspace-id of the workspace that owns the repo?

Also, do you have only one SSH key pair on this machine or multiple ones?

Kind regards,
Theodora

Bekim August 26, 2021

Theodora,

When running that command I see the workspace name. Does that mean I have to setup my own personal SSH key? This is the only key I have.

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
August 27, 2021

Hi @Bekim,

When running that command I see the workspace name.

I believe this is the reason for the warning you're seeing, it looks that you're authenticating with an SSH key that has been set up for that workspace.

You can continue with this setup, it should work. However, if it is not a requirement for you to authenticate with the workspace SSH keys, you can also set up SSH for your Bitbucket account.

The setup you have now will allow you to interact via SSH with repos that are owned by this specific workspace only. If you have repos in other workspaces and you try to clone/pull/push from those, you won't be able to do so using this SSH key pair. However, if you set up an SSH key pair for your Bitbucket account, this will allow you to interact via SSH with any repos your account has access to.

You can generate a new SSH key pair for your account:

Alternatively, you can remove the existing public key from this workspace's Settings > SSH keys, and then add it to your personal account's SSH keys here: https://bitbucket.org/account/settings/ssh-keys/

Kind regards,
Theodora

Bekim August 27, 2021

Got it! Thank you for helping me clear this up, it was driving me nuts.

Like Theodora Boudale likes this
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
August 30, 2021

You are very welcome, I'm glad to have helped!

Please feel free to reach out if you ever need anything else.

Gerard Malone February 21, 2022

Hi @Theodora Boudale

I have also been having this issue and found the above answer. Switcing from a workspace SSH key to a personal SSH key does indeed remove the warning, 

Is it possible for the warning to be removed or not triggered if I am using a workspace SSH key? I would prefer to use a workspace key rather than a key linked to my account, but that warning is triggering my OCD :-) 

many thanks

Gerard

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
February 28, 2022

Hi Gerard,

Thank you for the feedback. I'm afraid that it is not possible to remove this warning at the moment.

I went ahead and created a bug report for this in our issue tracker with the request that this warning gets removed and/or provide an option to disable console messages for workspaces:

You can add your vote in that bug report by selecting the Vote for this issue link in there and also add yourself as a watcher (by selecting the Start watching this issue link) if you'd like to get notified via email on updates.

Please note though that we don't provide ETAs and bug fixing is implemented as per our policy here.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events