Upgrading to bitbucket empty database

Daniel Noiseux August 1, 2017

I receive the following message:The target database contains tables whose names collide with Bitbucket's tables. Please migrate to a clean, empty database. For more information about creating a database for use with Bitbucket, please refer to the Bitbucket documentation.

If you continue having issues, get in touch with our support team and we'll help get you up and running.

If I create a new empty database, will I loose all current data?

3 answers

3 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rodrigo M
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 1, 2017

This error means that Bitbucket couldn't contact the authentication server. Thre are several causes related to this problem:
     Is it just one user that faces the problem?
     What type of authentication you use before the upgrade?
You can find more details in the Bitbucket logs: <Bitbucket Server home directory>log/directory.
Additionally, if you need to access your Bitbucket as an administrator, have you got an admin user stored in the Bitbucket Internal directory? We have the document below for emergency:
    Lockout Recovery Process

Daniel Noiseux August 3, 2017

Great, worked well, I'm all set now. Thanks

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rodrigo M
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 1, 2017

Hello Daniel.
Thanks for contacting Atlassian Community.
Related to your question, it seems that the new Bitbucket installation is not poiting to the BITBUCKET_HOME directory.
It's important to know the way that you are procedding the upgrade: it is from an archive file or from an installer? For your reference, I recommend following the Bitbucket Server upgrade guide.

Bitbucket Server needs to point to the previous STASH_HOME location so that an in place upgrade will be performed. It is possible to configure the BITBUCKET_HOME directory in the <Bitbucket Server installation directory>/bin/set-bitbucket-home file.
Besides, it is important to always backup your data:
    backup your current Bitbucket installation directory
    backup your current Bitbucket home directory
    backup your database

Regards
Rodrigo

Ok, it worked, thanks!!

Now I have one remaining issue on my test instance, Bitbucket says "The Remote authentification server is not available," is there a way around this?

Rodrigo M
Atlassian Team
August 3, 2017

Ok Daniel. As the question above was already answered, could you please set this anwser as "Accept as solution"?

Thanks.

Rodrigo

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2017

This sounds like you have downloaded the installer, run it and then told it to install over the top of an existing bitbucket, rather than upgrade it.

Step back, stop the install and try running an upgrade instead.

No I did Upgrade an existing server instance.  

We are upgrading from Stash 3.10.2 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2017

Getting the wrong "bitbucket home" is the other symptom of selecting the wrong option here.  It is easy to get the wrong one.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events