Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undocumented branch restrictions

Deleted user March 11, 2022

Although most are self-explanatory, I cannot find information on the different kinds through the branch restrictions documentation. Specifically, I'm interested in two of them, which happen to be accessible only through the API.

What is the definition of require_all_dependencies_merged and require_commits_behind?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ben
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 17, 2022

G'day!

I have reached out to our developers to explain what each of the requested definitions are for the two restrictions you have mentioned.

1.  require_all_dependencies_merged: This is actually accessible in the branch permissions section of the UI "Check that all dependencies are merged".
The purpose behind the feature is that you can link Pull Requests to indicate that one PR was blocked by another, and it would notify you if you tried to merge a PR without all its dependent PRs completed.
2. require_commits_behind: This is not accessible in the branch permissions section of the UI OR in the API. This was a planned feature that has not yet been implemented but is in the works. 
The purpose behind this feature is to establish a limit where if you are trying to merge code into main, you can only be N commits behind whatever the tip of main is at. For example for this PR, if you had a limit of 50 it would block this PR from being merged until you synced up your branch.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

- Ben (Bitbucket Cloud Support)

Deleted user March 22, 2022

Thank you for the response, Ben. I happen to be interested in the require_all_dependencies_merged restriction and I'm happy to see that the option exists.

So, the next question would be, how do you represent the linking of the pull requests? Is there maybe documentation to which you can refer me?

On a side note, I double-checked, and I still don't see the restriction in the UI. Is it maybe a premium feature?

Ben
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 28, 2022

Hey @[deleted]

My apologies, I have checked "require_all_dependencies_merged" on my personal (non-work) account and it is not present - I believe that this is still in testing and has not yet been rolled out to production as of yet.
We do not have formal documentation regarding the pull request linkage, I would imagine that this would become available once the feature is implemented.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers!

- Ben (Bitbucket Cloud Support)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events