Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to push repo <2gb

pmags March 1, 2019

My repo (lemon-alpha) was block due to exceeding 2gb. I manage to locally lower it to 500mb but still it doesn't allow to force push to the cloud.

Here is the output from git count-objects-v

lemon-alpha$ git count-objects -v

count: 0
size: 0
in-pack: 554
packs: 1
size-pack: 578474
prune-packable: 0
garbage: 0
size-garbage: 0

I have already run: git reflog expire --expire=now --all && git gc --prune=now --aggressive

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 4, 2019

Hi Pedro!

It looks like your repo is indeed that big. I've checked the size of the remote and we have 5.1 GB; I've run a garbage collection but the size hasn't changed. 

My recommendation would be to create a new repository in Bitbucket and upload the same data, if you've managed to locally reduce its size, this new repo will show the reduced size. Otherwise, you'll need to continue trying to reduce the size. 

Let us know how it goes!

Ana

pmags March 4, 2019

Indeed that is what we end up doing. Nonetheless from what i understood it would be possible to push commits that would downsize the repo after the history was re written.

We will leave the old repo for history only. Thank you for the help

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 4, 2019

Hi Pedro, to fix that situation you need to reduce the size of the repo first and after that force push the repo to Bitbucket, is that what you were attempting to do?

In any case, I'm glad you solved it :) Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

Have a good day!

Ana

pmags March 4, 2019

That is exactly what i did. I reduced locally but it doesn't allow to force push. Firstly i thought that given the on-line repo size it would be a question of git gc from your side taking longer because of the size. But after 2 days, i believe the problem is different.

Given the size, for how long will the old repo be live on bitbucket for us to consult?

Best regards

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
March 5, 2019

Are you referring to the big repo? It will be there forever, unless you or some of the repo admins delete it. We don't remove users' content, however it will be read-only.

I've run another git gc on the remote but the size hasn't changed. If you'd like, we could continue troubleshooting this with you until we get it to the right size, let us know if you'd like to go on with that. 

Kind regards,

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events