Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to login with old username and email address associated with the username doesn't connect

Nickolas Fisher June 19, 2022

I'm trying to log in with the username.  I know that BB changed to email address some time ago but the email address that I used to sign up with the username won't connect the two.  So now I can't get into the old username.  How can I correct this

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2022

You'll need to visit id.atlassian.com and recover or fix your account there.

Nickolas Fisher June 20, 2022

Thank you.  I went to id.atlassian and I dont see any place to fix or recover my account.

I did try to change my  by going to Atlassian account -> Products -> bitbucket.org -> bitbucket profile settings -> Username but that just tells me *An account with that name already exists.*.  This of course is what I'm trying to resolve.  

I've checked pretty much all the options on the settings wheel in id.atlassian.com and my profile icon but I'm not seeing any place to fix my account.  

Under which menu item can I find that?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2022

Ok, that tells us it's not your Atlassian account that is a problem.

Fire up an incognito session in your browser, or use another browser and try logging into bitbucket using the old account name, and, if that doesn't tell you anything useful about how to reset a password or update the account, try again with the associated email.

Nickolas Fisher June 21, 2022

So that's the problem.  

Bitbucket no longer allows you to log in with a username.  You have to use the email address.

I can log in with the associated email address but it won't let me use the old username with the email address.  It forced me to pick a new username.  

So at this point, I have 2 user names associated with 1 email address.  And I can't access the old username.  And I can't log into bitbucket with the username because it forces me to use an email address which it won't associate with the old username.  

CHaber May 22, 2023

Was this resolved? I am having the same problem.

Nickolas Fisher May 23, 2023

Yes, turns out the username in question was associated with an email address I had long forgotten.  Support was able to assist me in recovering it.  

Samuel Apolinario August 30, 2023

Hi, I'm having the same issue.  I am now forced to log into my account using a google account with the same email address as my original email based account.

I can no longer view my old repos!!

What did you have to do to get support to help you?  I am at a complete loss at the moment.  The site won't even let me upgrade to a paid plan to receive better support.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events