Unable to login to bitbucket using MFA

pshetye14 August 16, 2022

Hello Team,

Whenever I am trying to login to bitbucket site https://bitbucket.org/ using my organization's credential and code from microsoft authenticator  app , it keeps saying that code is invalid , even though the code is valid , 

1) Date time sync in phone I have tried and it's not helping

2) I have recovery key when for the first time I enabled the MFA but that is also not helping it keeps saying invalid keys 

3)Tried to get recovery key using below command 

ssh git@bitbucket.org recovery_codes

But, I ain't getting any recovery keys in it, only an empty response!

Now waiting for recovery link which I will receive after 24 hrs but if issue is with code and atlassian itself then it will still persist , can anyone help me on this ? whether we are following right path?

1 answer

0 votes
Syahrul
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 17, 2022

Hey @pshetye14 

Welcome to the community.

Can you share the page screenshot currently not accepting your MFA code? 

The reason I ask is that some users may have enabled 2FA for the Atlassian account and 2SV on their Bitbucket account. These two use completely different MFA codes, and you may use the wrong MFA code on the authentication page; hence it's not accepting the code.

There's a way to identify this. If you use DUO or Google Authenticator, you'll notice that the MFA code will say Atlassian or Bitbucket. 

Next is to identify the image shown in the MFA code page request as follows:

If you see Atlassian on the page, then you should use Atlassian MFA code in your authenticator:Screenshot 2022-08-18 at 1.46.48 PM.png 

If you see Bitbucket in the page, then you'll need to use Bitbucket MFA code in your authenticator:

Screenshot 2022-08-18 at 1.46.54 PM.png

That said, since you already requested the reset email you'll received the email within 24 hours and you can follow the link to reset.

As for the recovery code via the SSH we no longer allow this so you'll have to ensure you've kept the code safely to recover in the future.

I hope this clarifies.

Cheers,
Syahrul

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events