Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to login into Bitbucket after a loss of 2FA

yogesh_cts December 28, 2022

I had to reset my phone due to some reason after which, the 2FA entry in my phone for my Bitbucket account was lost. Unfortunately, the recovery code is lost too, and I am unable to log into my Bitbucket account.

As per some suggestions on the community, I tried retrieving the recovery keys using SSH command as below. However, it does not show any recovery key. 

ssh git@bitbucket.org recovery_codes

I tried with the email recovery link which gets sent in 24 hrs, twice but it is leading back to the 2FA dialog which does not work. 

As I observed on another issue, the Bitbucket support team can provide another link specific for the Bitbucket account which is the only way to resolve this problem.

Dear Bitbucket/Atlassian Support, Could you please help me getting access to my Bitbucket account?

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 2, 2023

Hi @yogesh_cts,

Bitbucket Cloud uses Atlassian accounts for authentication, and at the moment it is possible to set up 2FA for both the Bitbucket account and the Atlassian account. If you had 2FA enabled for both and you disabled the Atlassian account 2FA (from this page https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/security), you will still be asked for a Bitbucket 2FA code, as these are two separate implementations.

When you try to log in to https://bitbucket.org/ and you get to the screen that asks you for a 2FA code, you will see a link Forgot code? at the bottom of the page. Select that in order to request a 2FA recovery email. The email will be sent to the primary email address of your Bitbucket Cloud account after 24 hours.

When you receive this email, you can use the recovery link in that email in order to log in to the account and disable Bitbucket 2FA. Please note that this recovery link will only work for the account for 24 hours after it was sent.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out.

Kind regards,
Theodora

yogesh_cts January 2, 2023

Hello Theodora,

Thank you for your response to this issue.

As mentioned in the issue, I have been through the Forgot code option twice. Both times, I used the link received to recover my Bitbucket account but it did not work. For your information, I tried the following two things -

1) Setting up the 2FA again by disabling it and setting it afresh again

2) Disabling the 2FA itself

However, Bitbucket still asks for the 2FA code and ultimately does not work.

Is there any other way to reset the Bitbucket 2FA? In one of the community reported issues, I observed that for the same issue, another recovery link was provided by the Atlassian support with the account owner and with it finally he was able to recover his account. If it is possible, I will be grateful if you could help me with a similar option please?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Yogesh 

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 2, 2023

Hi Yogesh,

I can only see one Bitbucket 2FA recovery email requested for your account and that was requested about a month ago. I don't have visibility to Atlassian account 2FA recovery requests and I suspect that what you previously disabled may have been the Atlassian account 2FA.

Please note that disabling 2FA on this page https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/security/two-step-verification will not affect Bitbucket 2FA, this page concerns only Atlassian account 2FA.

A recovery email sent by Atlassian staff is no different than the automated one and we normally don't send these emails manually.

If you select the Forgot code? link on the Bitbucket 2FA page, and on the following page Send recovery email, you will get an email with a recovery link after 24 hours. If you open this recovery link, you will first get redirected to https://id.atlassian.com in order to log in with your email and password, and then you will see the following page:

Screenshot 2023-01-02 at 15.59.46.png

You can disable 2FA by selecting the Disable two-step verification link on that page. If you face any errors, please provide some screenshots that show the steps you follow (blur your email, if displayed) and what kind of error you get when you try to disable via the screen I showed you above.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events