Unable to create file in Bitbucket

Katrina Franzen Petry December 22, 2022

I'm trying to follow along with the Tutorial: Learn Bitbucket with Sourcetree. I'm on the section Pull Changes from your repository on bitbucket, https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/pull-changes-from-your-repository-on-bitbucket/  and under  Step 1: Create a file in Bitbucket it says 

From the Source page, click the More options button in the top right corner and select Add file from the menu.

I do not have More options with Add file from the menu. My ... shows Compare, Copy Branch name, Checkout in Sourcetree, Create Branch from here and Download.  

I can't figure out how to add a file from bitbucket. Please advise as I don't think these instructions match the current version of Bitbucket?

1 answer

1 vote
Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 29, 2022

Hello @Katrina Franzen Petry ,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

From your description, I think you might be trying to find the More options in Sourcetree, but the instructions from Step 1 of the documentation you shared need to be executed on the Bitbucket Cloud webpage. 

In this case, could you please access your bitbucket repository in your web browser, select the Source option in the left panel, and click on the three dots button in the top right corner ?  You should see an Add file option in that menu.

Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 2.03.05 PM.png

In case you are not seeing that option in Bitbucket UI, please share with us a screenshot of the page you are seeing.

Thank you, @Katrina Franzen Petry .

Patrik S

Gustavo Bernardino
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 1, 2024

Hi Patrik,

I am having the same issue. There is no button to add file.

Capture.PNG

Can you please help?

Syahrul
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 1, 2024

Hey @Gustavo Bernardino 

The screenshot you've shared seems to be from a Bitbucket server, which is entirely different from Bitbucket cloud. This is likely why you can't see the button you're looking for.

In addition, after a quick search about Bitbucket servers, it appears they don't support file creation via the user interface. You would need to clone the repository, create the necessary files manually, and then push them back to the repository.

Regards,
Syahrul

Like Sabine Mayer likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events