Unable to clone a bitbucket git repo

Brian Hall March 11, 2013

I'm having trouble cloning from a git repo on bitbucket. It is set up to use SSH, which I believe I have set up properly. It doesn't matter if I manually fill out the add repo dialog, or use the one automatically created for me when I click on the "clone with sourcetree" button on the bitbucket interface. The Process starts, the folder for the repo is created, but then nothing happens. I open up the additional log area on the progress dialog, and only the git command is shown, there is no error feedback or anything else.

I would expect that if I had the SSH set up incorrectly, that I would be unable to connect at all and would get an invalid public key error or something along those lines, but I get nothing.

What could be going on?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Brian Hall March 17, 2013

As it turns out, the git repo was quite large, and all it took was waiting a very long time. After about an hour and a half, it finished with "prercent complete" updates over the course of a minute.... so the feedback on the fetch progress could be better, but it did end up working.

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2013

Thanks so much for the feedback Brian. It may be something we could improve on in the future, I've just reported a feature request here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-1464

0 votes
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2013

Hi Brian,

I've just tested both of these and they appear to work fine. You would hope that you'd get an error message. One quick thing to try is testing your SSH connection. There's a document on it here, but basically just type in "ssh -T hg@bitbucket.org" or "ssh -T git@bitbucket.org" (at your terminal) to test your SSH keys against BitBucket.

Have a try and see what that yields for now and we can move from there.

Many thanks in advance

rjames2 February 24, 2021

The results are silent.  I was expecting a message of "success" or "failed" and I just returned to the command prompt without any message.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events