Unable to clone BitBucket repo created w/ MS credentials

SVH November 16, 2020

At my organization, we have a BitBucket app in MS Teams, and I used that to create a repo with my credentials. Because I'm logged into the Edge browser, my credentials are passed to BitBucket when I am passed from Teams to the website for my repo, and I do not have to use my e-mail and password. This is convenient, but I cannot clone the repo from another application (RStudio) because RStudio cannot authenticate via Edge. Instead, I encounter an Atlassian pop-up that prompts me for my credentials, but they will not work. Does anyone have experience using a repo that was created via an app (like MS Teams) that has an integration with BitBucket?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 18, 2020

Hi @SVH ,

If you need to clone a Bitbucket repo, you will need to use your Bitbucket username and password, your MS credentials will not work in this case.

If your account is a managed Bitbucket Cloud account, you will need to use an app-password instead of a password:

Could you please let me know, is this repo hosted in Bitbucket Cloud (https://bitbucket.org/) or Bitbucket Server (self-hosted instance) ?

Kind regards,
Theodora

SVH November 18, 2020

Hi Theodora,

It is hosted in Bitbucket Cloud, not in a self-hosted instance. 

Thank you for your help,

Sam

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 20, 2020

Hi Sam,

Thank you for your reply and you're very welcome!

The first step here is finding out if your account is a managed or a non-managed one.

To do this, you can go to the following link (from a browser session where you are already logged in to your Bitbucket Cloud account):

If the account is managed, this page will include a warning message titled "Managed account". Otherwise, in case of a non-managed account, you'll see the option to change your account's email.

If your Bitbucket Cloud account is a non-managed account, you should be able to clone/pull/push using either your Bitbucket account's password or an app-password:

Even if you never set a password for your Bitbucket Cloud account, you should be able to set one by requesting a password reset email via

If your Bitbucket Cloud account is managed, then the account's password won't work for HTTPS authentication and you'll need to generate and use an app-password.

Please feel free to let me know if this works for you and if you need anything further.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Mohamad Eghlima September 2, 2022

Hi @Theodora Boudale 

I had the same issue and I found this page.

My account is managed. I created the app password. 

We want to share our idea settings in repo A. authentication using https is a must. I am admin. I have app password.

But it does not allow me to login using the username/app password or email/app password!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events