Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble connecting to BitBucket

Kemberle Griffin April 6, 2023

I am using a mac trying to clone a repository and I cannot get connected. It keeps telling me my password is incorrect even though I can login to bitbucket and another user was able to connect with my credentials. 

I am running macos ventura and I'm connecting via https not ssh. I've connected to Git but the repository is not on github it's only here on bitbucket. 

Has anyone had this issue where they cannot clone a repository via the terminal or visual studio code? 

Thank you

2 answers

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 12, 2023

Hi @Kemberle Griffin and welcome to the community!

The password of your account can be used only for logging in to https://bitbucket.org/ from browser. It cannot be used for Git operations over HTTPS and API.

If you want to use basic authentication with HTTPS, you can generate an app password for your account and use this app password (in combination with your username):

When you get asked to provide a password during the clone operation, please provide the app password instead.

Please feel free to let me know how it goes and if you need further assistance!

Kind regards,
Theodora

0 votes
Mia Paulin April 6, 2023

@Kemberle Griffin  I had this issues.  It's because you have a password set up in the security section of the app you're using in the Jira portal.  It's different from your portal login credentials.  From the Jira portal, under the app you're working on, go to setting (top right hand corner beside you name icon and the help icon.).  Select personal setting:  it's actually called the personal Jira/<name of app you're working on>, then, once you get to the following page, in the left hand navigation bar, under passwords, click the password link.  It will show you all the passwords set up for using the apps.  Note: these aren't sign-in credentials to use the Atlassian portal:  these are the authentication to use remote apps to connect to the Jira/Atlassian portal and push/ pull/ commit/etc thing from you on-premise computer to the Jira portal(that include the Bitbucket app in the Atlassian portal).  If you have a password in the password portal and have no idea what it is, delete/revoke the password and create a new one(if you want one to access repositories remotely).  IMPORTANT: when you create the password, after following the prompts, copy that password and past it somewhere were you can access it when needed(the portal generates it) and save it,  This is because after the window that shows it is closed, you no longer have access to that password.  If it's closed and you didn't save it, just delete the password and start over.  I hope this helps!

Kemberle Griffin April 10, 2023

Thank you for your help with this. I'm pretty new to bitbucket and I'm set up with someone elses account. When I asked the owner about Jira he said we aren't using it. He is able to connect to my account via his computer (we are not in the same location). He was able to connect and clone the repository. 

The developer I'm working with said Jira wasn't something they are using (I have no idea what Jira is). My account is a free account. I'm only trying to get the files for the website cloned to my local system to work on and push back. 

I log into bitbucket and have no issue. I go to my branch and copy the clone code put it into my terminal or VS Code and it says the password is incorrect. I can't find what you are talking about to change or delete a password. 

Any other suggestions?

Thank you

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events