Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Access to Bitbucket is not stable from Russia since the ip address changed

kanshuykoo August 2, 2018

Access or login to Bitbucket is not always success from Russia since August on 2018, maybe the IP address was changed by Atlassian at this month. I could login or access to the repository but it failed frequently and takes time to reach the bitbucket by many trials.  

I didn't have any issue to login or access to Bitbucket until the end of July on 2018. 

Is it a known issue ?

10 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
jredmond
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 6, 2018

This should be resolved - we've added a third subnet, which is not blocked in Russia as I type this. Russian users should now get a new set of IPs from DNS.

https://blog.bitbucket.org/2018/08/06/update-ip-migration/ has a bit more detail. Please note that some ISPs may cache the old IPs for a little while longer, and that IP-based geolocation (which we're using to serve a different set of DNS records for Russian users) can be imprecise, so you might still get the unreachable addresses for a little while longer.

If you've added 104.192.143.1 to your hosts file, then please remove that; we will be decommissioning that IP (along with others like it) soon.

Fanis August 6, 2018

Thank you for this!

Now BB is working from Kazan.

YuriiTimofeyev August 6, 2018

Thank you very-very much!

Anton Shubin August 6, 2018

Thank you! It's working from Voronezh.

akvyalkov August 28, 2018

Hello, James.

Sorry for bothering, but I wonder if only I facing the connection problem.

I can't connect to my repo in bitbucket from Moscow about a week already.

ping bitbucket.org
PING bitbucket.org (18.205.93.2) 56(84) bytes of data.
ping: sendmsg: Invalid argument
^C
--- bitbucket.org ping statistics ---
12036 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 12624945ms

There no any IP in hosts.

But I tried to set it explicitly to connect one of the mentioned in the post. Still no connection.

As I see in outage.report, there are some people having same problem: https://outage.report/bitbucket

Can you please help with this problem?

jredmond
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 28, 2018

That IP is one of the ones being blocked in Russia. Unfortunately, while we can return different DNS results based on IP geolocation, we also have to rely on your ISP and nameservers to give you the "correct" result.

As a temporary fix, does 18.234.32.156 work for you for bitbucket.org?

akvyalkov August 29, 2018

Thank you!

IP 18.234.32.156 works great.

As it is temporary solution can be there a way to get working IP address for bitbucket.org without bug you every time?

jredmond
Atlassian Team
August 29, 2018

DNS is the best approach. If your upstream DNS isn't serving the right IPs then you need to contact them, or try a different DNS provider. If you manage a local DNS cache then it may be worthwhile to update it with the new information - at least while the main IP set is blocked.

0 votes
dmugtasimov October 16, 2020

It looks like it is back again. At lease time to time I experience super slow opening of bitbucket.org

0 votes
petya python August 6, 2018

Attlassian dont solve this problem - because problem not in Attlassian, but in our stupid goverment. i have crutch ti resolve this - add right ip in hosts, or add right ip's in dns (if you have pocket dns)

Good news! And what exactly I have to do with /hosts ?

maninhat August 6, 2018

Try add in hosts file:

104.192.143.1 bitbucket.org

It is works for me.

Thanks a lot! It's works! (at least for now)

0 votes
Timofey Traynenkov August 5, 2018

I have the same problem. The website works well but trying to ping 'bitbucket.org' leads to timeout. This is a reasone why I cannot push my changes. Using of VPN solves this problem... Hope you will fix this stupid situation with blocking of IP addresses in Russia.

Timofey Traynenkov August 5, 2018

After writing that website works well it stopped working at all...

I think this is beacuse of your provider is unable or unwiling to lock this IP for 100% of time. Sometime BB is unlocked and things works

0 votes
kanshuykoo August 5, 2018

I know the Russian government blocks some ips but I think it is not the case for the bitbucket access problems. 

I can access, pull, and commit to bitbucket from Russia without any problem currently after disabled IPV6 on Mac.

I need to know the real cause of the problem. I am not a network expert. I am guessing that some bitbucket's IPV6 addresses are out of the allowed list in Kremlin that is why routing was failed and didn't reach to BItbucket. 

Please someone help me to figure out the real solution if I am wrong.  

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2018

As it's working ok for most countries, we have to say it is something to do with the routing or firewalls between you and the BB servers.  That's not an Atlassian problem, it's something for your network providers.

Anton Shubin August 5, 2018

Yeah it seems to be problems with russian government that banned some IPs.

Surely, this is not  BB problem! This is local problem of whole our country. We just looking for some solution.

Personally, I'm drifting to host my own gitlab repository. 

0 votes
YuriiTimofeyev August 4, 2018

Sometimes site works, but only for several seconds. It's enough to open page, but too short to make a commit.

This is because of Russian fascist government has locked this ip: 18.205.93.2

I have no idea how to deal with it. Probably use VPN? Or make a revolt?

Anton Shubin August 5, 2018

+1
Try VPN.
This one helped me (free trial for 3 days): https://free.nordvpn.com/

Yes, but good VPN are payd (and still very vulnerable to governments's carpet bombing)

Anton Shubin August 6, 2018

You right. But as temp workaround it could work.

0 votes
Anton Shubin August 4, 2018

I still have the same issue and other devs in my team from variety of cities in Russia.

kanshuykoo August 4, 2018

I disabled ipv6.

However I am not sure if it would solve the issue... 

0 votes
kanshuykoo August 4, 2018

Probably, It has been solved by Atlassian. I haven't had any issue so far right now.

0 votes
Антон Емельянов August 2, 2018

Та же самая проблема. https://bitbucket.org не работает.

petya python August 2, 2018

and what we need to do ?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events