Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Team to work together on the same project

Chava Mendelzon February 17, 2019

Hi,

I have a few developers that I want them to work on the same project each one from another machine, do we able to do it here?

I don't want that each one will have a copy of the project localy on his manchine.

I want that the project will be in the server and everyone will connect and work there.

Is it possible to do it here? if not - can you tell me please were?

Also I want to add that it's a private project.

1 answer

1 vote
Marty
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 17, 2019

Hi Chava,

I'm not aware of any version control systems (VCSs) that allow users to work on code without having some of that code on their machine.  

Older VCSs like CVS or Subversion do not keep all of the history on a user's machine, but they still download one copy/version to the user's machine.

Distributed VCSs like Git or Mercurial store much more on the user's machine including history.  

If you want to get into the nitty gritty on those I recommend this article, even though it is from a few years ago it is still a good read: https://www.atlassian.com/blog/software-teams/version-control-centralized-dvcs

If you really want zero code on a user's machine the only way I can think to do this is to have some sort of Remote Desktop or mainframe-style system where the entire desktop of each developer is not stored locally but is stored on a server.  Even so, each of those Remote Desktops would also need to have a copy of some code.

I hope that helps!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events