Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tag filter in tags overview

Flavio Deroo October 5, 2016

Hi,

I noticed my tags does not filter properly for two-digits tag

e.g. 6.18.1 is shown before 6.2.0,

18 should certainly be after 2 in my version number, although the bitbucket filter consider 1 to be before 2, therefore place 18 before 2 (only the first digit of the tag number is compared to order it)

Is there a workaround, or any update planned ?

Thanks a lot smile

Flavio.

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Flavio Deroo October 6, 2016

As recommended by @Seth , i open'd a request because at the moment there is no option for such ordering.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BSERV-9214

Thank you for the help.

Bryan Turner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 6, 2016

That issue was created for Bitbucket Server, not Bitbucket Cloud (bitbucket.org). An equivalent issue already existed for Bitbucket Cloud in their issue tracker. I've commented on BSERV-9214 with this correction as well.

When discussing Bitbucket Cloud, issues should be raised here, not in the BSERV project on jira.atlassian.com.

1 vote
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2016

The tags are being ordered alphabetically, so 1 comes before 2. If you get up to 6.20.0, the 0 in 20 will come later than the . in 2.0, so it will be listed after.

Sure, the ordering is obvious to us, but by normal programming standards, "6.18.1" is NOT numeric (it's a series of numbers separated by a character that itself could be numeric). Sure Bitbucket could program a specific exception for version numbers in that format (submit a feature request at jira.atlassian.com if you like), but it's not the only possible version number format out there. The git book itself would use "v6.18.1" for the tag (https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Basics-Tagging), and my company would use "Release6_18_1".

If you want to force the tags to get ordered correctly, you need to predict the maximum number of digits for each part of you version tag, and 0-pad appropriately (06.18.001 and 06.02.000 would get ordered the way you want)

Thank you Seth for the detailed answered, i now understand why they would use it here.

However, I still think the sequencial version numbering is so common nowadays that there would be an option to display the order that way on bitbucket.

I'll follow your advice and submit a request, although considering the relatively low aggregate value that it brings to the table, i'm not really sure it's going to work.

0 votes

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BSERV-9214 : I created the request, thanks again for the help Seth and Kim.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2016

jira.atlassian.com

Post a link to your FR as an answer to this question. That'll help others find and vote for it.

0 votes
Kim Taylor October 6, 2016

It would be nice to have an option for supporting the precedence rules from Semantic Versioning.

How does one submit such a feature request?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events