Sync function made the merge commit / pull reuqest

김영화 September 14, 2022

Hi. We use Bitbucket cloud.
I have two questions.

I tried to sync my forked repository from the origin and realized that there is a merge commit when I clicked the Sync button.
I was wondering why the Sync function made the merge commit.

Before moving bitbucket cloud, the pull reuqest appeared automatically on bitbucket. but now I have to access my forked repository to click the pull request. Shoud I set up for that fuction in Bitbucket cloud ?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 19, 2022

Hi @김영화,

This is how the sync function works in Bitbucket Cloud, I'm afraid that there is no way to configure this to create a pull request instead.

You mentioned, "Before moving bitbucket cloud, the pull reuqest appeared automatically on bitbucket.".

• Were you using Bitbucket Server previously?
  • When you say that "the pull request appeared automatically", was it a PR from the forked repo to the parent one? Or from the parent to the fork?

Kind regards,
Theodora

김영화 September 20, 2022

Hi @Theodora Boudale

Thank you for  your reply.

Yes I was using Bitbucket Server previously.

"the pull request appeared automatically" means that PR from the forked repo to the parent one. 

"the pull request appeared automatically" means that PR button appeared and the PR worked from the forked repo to the parent one. 

I am looking forward to hearing you. Thank you

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 21, 2022

Hi @김영화,

Thank you for your reply.

You mentioned that a PR was created from the forked repo to the parent one.

Please note that Syncing a fork is about merging changes from the parent to the fork, not the other way around.

In Bitbucket Server, there is no out-of-the-box feature to create automatically PRs either from parent to fork or from fork to parent.

If you had PRs getting created automatically, your Bitbucket Server instance may have had a plugin or some other integration that was doing that.

In Bitbucket Cloud, syncing a fork will merge the changes from the parent to the fork without a PR as well. I'm afraid it is not possible to create a PR from parent to fork either manually or automatically, we have a feature request about this that you can vote for, and leave your comment if you'd be interested in that https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD-16847

Pull requests can be created manually from the fork to the parent.

If you want to automate that, you could look into using webhooks that would send a request to one of your servers and then create a PR via our API:

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/bitbucket/rest/api-group-pullrequests/#api-repositories-workspace-repo-slug-pullrequests-post

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events