Stash connected to LDAP counts too many users against license

Svante Gustafsson Björkegren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2014

Hey,

I just exceeded my Stash license and I was clueless why this happened. After some investigation I found out the following scenario:

1. I have Stash connected to LDAP and synchronize everything
  2. I have setup the LDAP User Directory to automatically add users on first login to the internal group: stash-users
  3. The internal group stash-users is granted Stash User permissions
  4. When I try to login for the first time with a new user I get the Invalid User error message
  5. I grant an LDAP group, including the new user, Stash User permissions
  6. Now I can login with the new user and it is auto-added to the stash-users group

This is a strange catch22 situation in my opinion. The reason I want to have the auto-add function is to automatically add the users logging in to Stash to the licensing scheme via the stash-users group. It is not necessary for all people e.g. in the LDAP engineering group to get a Stash license.

This is how JIRA/Confluence work, you take a license when you login for the first time and are added to the jira-users/confluence-users groups. Why is Stash behaving differently?!

The auto-add function is really great and saves a lot of waiting for enabling accounts at the same time as the number of licenses are kept optimal. Is the only solution here to maintain a separate LDAP group for those that "may" use Stash at some point?

Rgrds,

// Svante

1 answer

1 vote
ThiagoBomfim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 28, 2014

Hi Svante,

I've raised a Suggestion to improve this behaviour for Stash some time ago: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/STASH-5294

I'd encourage you to start watching this issue as news come up.

Best regards,
Thiago Bomfim
Atlassian Support

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events