Stash and SourceTree Differences

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2014

We are migrating to GIT and want to use both Stash and SourceTree. I am trying to fully understand the main use for both products. It would appear that Stash is the REPO Management tool that only myself and the other code controller would want to have access to. SourceTree seems to be a GUI for our developers to actual do pulls etc? Am I completely off base with this?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
TimP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2014

Hi Bryan,

Stash is a web application that hosts your git repositories for you - you might think of it as a git "server". SourceTree is a GUI "client" that allows developers to work with git repositories on their local computers. SouceTree has the ability to clone repositories from your Stash server (or any other git server).

Usually you would host one instance of Stash and grant all of your developers read and write access to some projects and repositories hosted on it. Developers would then download and install SourceTree on to their development machines themselves and use it to work with their own local copies, or "clones", of the repositories hosted on Stash. 

Hope this clears it up for you!

cheers,

Tim

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2014

Thanks Tim. I appreciate the insight!

0 votes
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2014

There are several user-facing features on the Stash web interface (pull requests for code review, various ways of looking at history, etc.), so the developers need to have access to it as well. (Of course, they will not have admin rights in Stash or on the server machine.)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events