Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stash/SourceTree GitFlow

Dale Keener December 5, 2013

I'm evaluating Stash and SourceTree for my organization. We use gitflow today, and are simply using command line interface. We want to add code review, and the Stash pull request feature looks like it would fit the bill very nicely.

I believe I've figured out how to work within SourceTree and Stash up to the point where we create a pull request. At that point I've merged the change into develop on Stash and it properly deletes the branch on the Stash repo.

However, I'm left with a feature branch on the local repository. What should we do with that feature branch? Finishing it on the local repository results in a merge to develop. But, the code's already been merged to develop in the Stash repo. Seems like I get duplicated merges.

Or, should we simply delete the local branch after it's been merged into develop in the Stash repo?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2013

Hi Dale,

It's as simple as deleting the local branch. :)

If you find that the 'remote' feature branch still hangs around in your local repository, even though Stash deleted it, you might want to 'prune' during fetch.

The Stash team uses Pull Requests as our primary source of code review without any problems. Let us know if you find something missing.

Charles

Dale Keener December 6, 2013

Thanks Charles. Simple is always preferred. I was just concerned that perhaps I was somehow dropping a step.

And, your suggestion on "fetch" is certainly appreciated as I noticed the remote branches were in fact still hanging around in the local repo.

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2013

No worries Dale. Git and DVCS are great, but can certainly be a little confusing when changes can happen in different places.

Best of luck. :)

Charles

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events