Starting Bitbucket complains about Git version

moby_dev June 30, 2021

I am trying to upgrade Bitbucket 5.16.2 to 7.14.0 on a clean install of Ubuntu 20.04.  I restored the Bitbucket folders from backup, so technically, Bitbucket has never run on this install before in my environment.

I run the ... /bin/start-bitbucket.sh script and Bitbucket appears to start fine. When I go to access the app via Chrome, I get this:

A fatal error has occurred

The following problem occurred, which prevents Atlassian Bitbucket from starting:

• You are using Git 2.25.1. This version is not supported due to changes which break core Bitbucket functionality. Downgrade to a supported version and restart, or check for later versions of Bitbucket that support Git 2.25.1.

This is *NOT* the version of git that is installed...  When I run git --version I get:

git version 2.32.0

When I look at the Bitbucket install notes (https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/supported-platforms-776640981.html) it clearly lists *BOTH* v2.25.1 AND v2.32.0 as supported versions of git.

I am either missing something completely or I don't know how to read!

1 answer

0 votes
moby_dev June 30, 2021

I have no idea what was going on.  I reinstalled git to ensure I was using the latest version, then just rebooted the system.  It is working now with no complaints...

The error message is completely misleading and the documentation is no help.  I hate it when you reboot a system and stuff starts to work with no idea what changed.  Technically, nothing changed...

Oh well.......... I am live and happy!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events